Discussion of the April '17 update

Only for beta and prerelease customers so far, I’m afraid. We’ll let you know when you can use it!

1 Like

Oh wow!! The passthrough! Makes me wish I had upgraded to pro!! Same with the filter. Haha. Thanks for the update Dan! I look forward to getting my hand on a production line unit!!

5 Likes

I’m right there with ya :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Since Dan gave a sneak peek at the materials catalog, and indicated that it is accessible to the beta and prerelease folks, I can attest that the site functions well. I have purchased items. It’s kind of like that Breakfast at Tiffany’s thing. The shipping gets to its intended target. The materials are well packed. And every bit of material I have received is excellent. There is a good selection and just about everything that is now available to me has been demonstrated by someone.

11 Likes

Me as well. Basic with no filter.

2 Likes

Yep, I used it. It has materials, you could easily find them, ordering worked like every other e-commerce in the world, and stuff gets sent (I haven’t received it yet, but I believe things that get given to fedex arrive at the other end). So not rivetingly exciting, but easy, quick and practical (and it does look very nice).

4 Likes

I’m still on the fence on if I should keep the filter or not. :confused:

1 Like

Unless you are needing the money it is better to wait to see how well they work before deciding to cancel or not. Hard to make a decision on seeing a couple of incomplete photos and no technical details.

OOOooo, Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
Guess what is going to accompany my glass (or two) of wine this weekend.:relaxed:

2 Likes

I’m not too worried about if it will work. My bigger concern is will I use it. I’m going to be venting out a window for the most part. I was considering keeping it if I take it with me places. For example, bring the Glowforge to my sisters classroom.

But either way, I agree with you. I’m not going to make the decision until right before it ships. :smile:

We use interns for that :wink:

(aerospace, not medical)

Some of our interns are pretty spacey too… :grin:

2 Likes

This has got to be the slowest growing update thread ever. it’s almost 24 hours later and we still haven’t gone over 100 post.

@dan I guess everyone liked the progress report! I’d love to see more photos on a regular basis!

and… you know, get my hands on a unit.

9 Likes

Good stuff. :slight_smile:

I wonder if there is a software limit as to how long the sign can be? Could the software handle 300 yard long dxf file? One would think so because it’s just math :wink: but maybe displaying that get tricky…dunno. Thoughts?

3 Likes

I understand your worries. But the devices we make, as long as we label them for investigational use only they can be imported into Europe (and pretty much anywhere else) without a CE mark or regulatory approvals. It is what we do for our equivalent of beta/pre-release testing. So I have my doubts if OUS pre-release units would prove much from a regulatory perspective.

Regulatory approval is pretty much a question of identifying the regulations you need to meet and then doing the testing and/or assembling a bunch of paperwork. You may also need an in country agent. Unfortunately, because of the way the process works, it’s common to not know if you’ve done it all until near the end. And of course the final test comes when it passes through customs.

4 Likes

Bay Area Maker Faire should be able to demo them well enough.

I would absolutely keep it. Worst case scenario you only break it out some Christmas when you forgot to shop for gifts and instead run over to the large extended family get together with the Glowforge and Filter + a pile of Proofgrade.

3 Likes

If I had a basic I would definitely have a filter for taking to conventions. I just picked up a booth at a couple other local conventions. I can’t wait

1 Like

Sniping to be 100th… Yay me!

I really appreciated this update. Very nice to see that we’re really just within 3 months or so of units shipping. :slight_smile:

1 Like