Discussion of the April '18 update

I’m not really understanding how you can take people who invested in your idea as a kickstarter, like myself, and tell me I have to wait until July(ish). All the meanwhile instead of getting your international early supporters the support they deserve its instead focused on resources to open up to all domestic US non-founder customers with delivery in 10 days?

I live in Canada, our border is a few hours from your office. I may have missed it, but I didn’t see mention of Canada on the international orders that are happening in the next three weeks.

I’m sure you have legal and logistical obstacles, you also have a giant Kickstarter with the largest backing ever and a responsibility to figure it all out accordingly and not just simplest resolves first.

Anyone in the US…can purchase a Glowforge today and get it by early May…I bought mine literally years ago. Pack it safely, ship it over, pay your additional costs. You’ve had more than enough time to review Canadian regulations. I’m still here because I believed in you and the product. Why are you leaving us dry?

13 Likes

Dan, With the new glass update can you confirm that the placement of the overhead camera has not changed to better accommodate any of the alignment issues? I.e. existing original ‘collector editions’ :wink: glass owners are not going to miss out on something related to the new glass?

5 Likes

Thank you for expressing my similar question and complains. I have been told that Canadian regulation on machine import, particularly laser are a lot harsher then in the US, but still. And yes the latest selection of countries were the EU, a good chunk of country and by extension, customer to satisfy, but still. Being near and far at the same time from an delivery a few Km north. A bit disappointed.

1 Like

That makes sense only if the software developers are also the ones working on the assembly line or the support desk.

3 Likes

I’m disappointed that the PLUS wasn’t an option in the beginning. I would have gotten that instead of the Basic

Love the machine, but more power and speed is so nice. I just didn’t have space to use passthrough on the Pro

6 Likes

I am surprised that Canada isn’t on the list. I had it shipped to the US and picked it up from there and brought it in.

I work in the same industry as Flex so something amiss on getting the certifications unless they really gunned it to get certifications for the EU if there’s more order to ship (hence free up liability of orders) to launch

1 Like

Unfortunately, no amount of support makes the wheels of bureaucracy turn faster. We’re already spending as much money and time as we can to get approvals - nothing I know could accelerate the process.

No, the only difference is the pattern printed on the glass.

2 Likes

Listen, I hear where you’re coming from as much as I know you can hear where I’m coming from. It just absolutely sucks that our faith in your product and wish for success results in such sub-par results. It would be appreciative if we knew exactly what the disconnect is between your product and the legislation or logistics of getting through that red tape. Or at least progress updates on the steps being taken to work towards an amicable resolve.

And to those that see my comment purely as dissatisfactory, or as a slight towards Dan or Glowforge, please ensure that it’s not in any means a blanket statement on the representation of the company of efforts I’ve seen them put forth.

Unfortunately I, and others got the crappy end of the stick, and I wouldn’t be doing my due diligence if I’m not expressing that. I hope you understand.

As you can see the other reply I had from my complaint is that of others who feel the same. If tomorrow anyone in the same shoes can feel like they’ve been listened to and are being looked after, then that adds merit to my post. Your quick reply is a testament to that so for that I thank you.

I would’ve have cancelled by now if you weren’t living up to standard you portrait, by it won’t stop me from continuing to push for improvement.

Thank you,

Josh J.

4 Likes

I don’t fault you a bit - I wish I could get your Glowforge to you tonight. It’s entirely on us - and, to the point, me - that you don’t have it. I just want you to know that it’s not for lack of effort.

1 Like

Hi there.

Any news on auto align for pass thru projects?

1 Like

First post on this forums after reading monthly updates consistently. I am unfortunately one of those lost Canadian souls waiting for their Glowforge. Could one possibly get it shipped to the border and bring it in themselves at this point? So I can have my glowforge in 10 days vs unknown time?

1 Like

If/when our original Glowforge laser tube finally gives up… will the replaceable tube be able to be replaced with a Plus tube for the extra power? Or is the connections/size just too different? Just curious…

3 Likes

I think there is no visible difference between the tubes, other than the barcode on them.

1 Like

If you do a search, there are a few of your peoples who have done such a thing. You have to change your delivery address to a US one(if Washington, you’ll get charged Washington sales tax). The rub is if there’s an issue you’ll have to drive it back across the border for the warrenty shipping and again to get the replacement. You’ll also have to keep track of all the importing dues and whatnot.

I received my Basic on 30 March, since I paid the same price as the new Plus, could I exchange my Basic for a Plus? Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t believe they’ll switch them out, but if you paid more for the Basic than the final Basic price, @dan has said that they will adjust the payment, which is an amazingly generous thing to do.

Send an email to Support with the details. (Make sure you’re excluding filter in the consideration - it’s extra now.)

Agree, that is a fair offer and I sent an email to Support, but it couldn’t hurt to ask :slight_smile:

What about all the pre-orders that got a 50% discount, which now is only a 33% discount if nobody actually pays the top price.

1 Like

So what? Gotta admit this one irritates me. It’s seems to be stretching to complain about something.

But for the record… The prices of a GF for a period of time were twice what the early buyers paid. So it was a 50% discount. Prices have changed again since that time. Also, have no idea what MSRP will be from a third party which is what the original 50% discount was projected against. No purchase is a guarantee of value over time.

2 Likes

But aren’t the people that paid top whack getting the difference back, or did I misunderstand?

There are consumer laws in the UK about claiming 50% off when nobody actually has paid it. Probably not the same in the US as consumers seem to have far less protection there. Warranty is another example. Has to be 2 years for consumer items here and seller has to cover return shipping.