Discussion of the April '18 update

There were people that ordered more that a year ago that paid top dollar. Most have received their GF and nothing I have seen indicates a refund for them. Only the people who recently ordered.

Recommend not ordering from the U.S. if protections are not acceptable to you. I won’t order from the U.K. avoiding higher costs and VAT.

You don’t pay VAT if you order from outside the EU, only your local import duty and that seems to be zero for a lot of things, for example 3D printers.

And shipping from the UK to the US is much cheaper than the other way around. We sold about 1/3 of our 3D printers to the US because you got them cheaper than they were in the UK.

1 Like

Thanks for that info, I guess I would end up getting taxed twice at that point :frowning: Gah based on Dans response im starting to feel Canada wont actually ship by July if there is no progress to talk about on that front at this point.

Dan never talks about progress anymore, only about what’s already finished. Even if they were shipping to Canada on Friday he wouldn’t talk about the progress now.

Probably because whenever he did talk about what was in progress he always used to underestimate the time it would take by such an excessive degree.

4 Likes

I understand what you’re getting at, how likely are they to make that date, but to literally answer the question, as I am that person, I’m pretty ambivalent about it. My main use case at the moment is the filter will make it easier for me to use the passthrough slot. For long materials I have to rotate my glowforge table (on casters) counterclockwise and that stretches the exhaust hose further as well as over the backside slot. Rotating clockwise, better for the exhaust hose, just introduces more inconvenience. If they had placed the exhaust port rear right I would have been more likely to have cancelled the filter.

As of an hour ago, still holding firm at May 6.

i don’t think the people who picked up across the border were taxed twice. you should look for their posts here and see how they did things.

1 Like

You’ll pay WA sales tax (if picking up in Washington) and then tax at the border (VAT or GST, or whatever they call it)

1 Like

ah, that’s a fair point. i was probably thinking of all of the eastern canadians. :slight_smile:

I wonder what the earliest ship date is for Canada. I know mine is July

I believe the Canadians can ask for their sales tax back, but that involves forms and stuff.

2 Likes

I think we’ll need some more clarification on which recent owner/purchasers can get refunds/taken care of.

You can find out if you qualify by sending an email to support with the details of your purchase. Date ordered, amount paid, which unit was ordered and with or without the filter. That sort of detail.

(They’re probably not going to discuss it on the open forum for privacy reasons.)

If I understand correctly, it applies to the most recent orders placed, after the December 2017 price increase. That was higher than the current pricing, if I’m remembering right.

Good suggestion! Would require some software work, and the resulting machine would have some plus and some basic parts, so it’s not a simple thing but definitely something we can put in the feature hopper.

12 Likes

Exactly.

@ericinkandthread, when did you receive your Pro unit? All of the units shipped from the end of November 2017 forward were shipped with the shields already installed. (They are the metal panels at the front and back of the machine on the inside. They have two black thumb screws in them to remove them.)

If you received your Pro unit before Thanksgiving 2017, you need to send an email to support@glowforge.com and let them know that you still need them. I think most of them have gone out now.

1 Like

@dan What is the reason the passthrough maple plywood is a lot more expensive than the equivalent of getting four 12"x 20" sheets? (It’s $11 more). The Cherry and Walnut passthrough sizes are only $1 more than 4 smaller boards. The acrylic in the passthrough size is $3 cheaper than four 12"x20" sheets.

Is maple plywood more complicated to process at that size?

As of an hour ago, still holding firm at May 6.

I hope you’ll let us know when something changes; as far as I can tell you have the earliest date.

Glad it is not holding you back in the meantime.

1 Like

Shipping

1 Like

if that is the case, why are the other two plywood options only $1 more? Maple doesn’t cost more to ship than Walnut or Cherry. Anyway shipping costs are separate if you try to buy.

It costs more to ship oversized items. (With all of the carriers.) :neutral_face:

(Just placed my order last night for two of the oversized walnut panels. Now i need to decide what to make.) :smile:

Oh never mind - I see you’re talking about some kind of difference between the woods.