Discussion of the May '17 Update

It made me smile too.

4 Likes

Never heard of Portlandia! :grinning:

4 Likes

Me neither, and for some reason, Iā€™m glad.
Weirdā€¦ but then thatā€™s just me :upside_down:

3 Likes

Itā€™s an acquired taste. I used to find it bizarre, but now I look forward to it. Theyā€™re making fun of the eccentricities of the peoples of the NW States (excluding Dan and GF staff, of course :slight_smile:).

3 Likes

Thanks!
Keep The Faith :eight_pointed_black_star:

So I probably wouldnā€™t understand a word then - although I did find that sketch funny.

2 Likes

I think it is some sort NorthWestern state disease ā€¦ :laughing::imp:

1 Like

Thanks Dan. Coasting along on my anticipation. I have great hopes for an exciting July.

3 Likes

That is too funny!

You should tell him each GF he works on is his own, then give it to someone else. Watch that build quality sky rocket. :smiley:

8 Likes

Yeah ā€“ well ā€“ the show is good (and often painfully true) but you should try living it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

cmon dan, at least pretend I have a basic understanding of that part of the glowforge config after lurking for a year and a half. Iā€™m asking why youā€™d do that for an demo vid. Was it intentionally done in that order (unlikely, since the part where you were engraving the custom message dropped significantly), and if not, why isnā€™t it prioritizing engraves over cuts by default? Why not put reordering into the video - its clearly an important step in the camming process.

3 Likes

Thankfully @dan doesnā€™t seem that kind of guy, either to his workers or his customers. The approach Iā€™d love to see is assign him to build X number GF, and tell him an unspecified unit from that batch will be his. Watch quality obsession become quality obsession squared.

The text engrave happened after the cut because he added the text to the cut file after the cut lines were already listed in the thumbnail column.

He just didnā€™t bother to drag the text engrave higher in the queue. He could have done so - it would have taken one more step. (Which he probably forgotā€¦ :wink:)

Generally though, itā€™s not a big deal - it will engrave just fine on something that has been cut.
( from experience with the PRU.)

Andā€¦thereā€™s a really crappy demo now that shows how to order cuts here:

10 Likes

I would think there should be no need for concern if it cuts or engraves first because of the auto focus. That would make order of function more a sensitivity to the material behavior, particularly in cases of heat buildup. At least thatā€™s my understanding from the forums and the design descriptions. Cut/engrave certain areas in certain orders because it messes with the material, not because GF canā€™t cope with engraving after it has been cut.

Or am I off base?

4 Likes

Nopeā€¦youā€™re right on the money, and itā€™s a pretty freaking magical thing to watch. :relaxed:

The only time it does become an issue is for some light weight materials that can tend to get blown around by the air assistā€¦those little bamboo beads that I engraved the card faces on were one case. Paper would be another, or lightweight fabrics.

But the cuts can be ordered for those, very easily, and the secret to keeping things stuck down turned out to be using a simple double sided adhesive roller for me, so I donā€™t usually even bother to re-order the cuts and engraves on the lightweight stuff either.

5 Likes

One point I would like to raise here @dan.
How can we let you know if there is anything else weā€™d to see in the comments belowā€¦
If you disable the damn comments?
Just saying:smile:
And the bloody emojis arenā€™t working again.:angry:
Oh, maybe itā€™s just the happy ones:grin:

Yep.

5 Likes

Chuckleā€¦pop a space in between the emoji and the previous word.

3 Likes

If i did that, what would I have to moan about:grinning:

7 Likes

Ultimately thatā€™s true but when @henryhbk suggested that was why he got good results on his Seder puzzles @dan said AF wasnā€™t working yet. Itā€™s just got really decent depth of focus tolerance so the results still look good if it drops a fraction of an inch.

2 Likes