Discussion of the September 2017 update (OLD)

I’m sure it’s here somewhere, but I don’t know how to search for it and it’s a long thread. I see that GF is currently on day 7, but I don’t readily know the date for day 1, so I don’t know what day my order was on. Can someone help a tired brother out? :slight_smile:

Here it does. And I’ve seen plenty of other places do similar things. “Item is shipped” it isn’t really but we made a label for it.

1 Like

September 24th was Day One. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

day one is 9/24/2015

“Shipping” was announced during Bay Area Maker Faire in May. That meant they sent emails asking customers if they would want their basic shipped now, even though some of the advertised features weren’t ready. You are correct. I’d say everyone looking at that announcement would say, “There are Glowforges on the truck to be delivered.” Evidently “shipping” in this case means, “we are going to start the shipping process by asking if you want a Glowforge now and where would we ship it.” Lots of hearty discussion about this doublespeak on the forums took place.

Sorry that you have to wade through this issue and I hope you get your Glowforge soon. I too have gotten the “Do you want your Glowforge now” email. It will come for sure, sooner than six weeks if it follows what the other notifications have said.

I had one of the first pre-release Glowforges and I enjoyed it so much. I have no doubt that I’ll get a great laser for what I paid for it in the pre-order campaign. I am so looking forward to my forever forge and I guarantee that I will be posting up a storm of Made on the Glowforge items.

10 Likes

Hopefully the above-linked message sheds more light on what “shipping” means here in GlowforgeLand.

3 Likes

Lots of shifting sands in GlowforgeLand

Thanks, Jules!

It seems like it would be easier if they just referred to the date I would think. Thank you for helping me remember! I’ll make a note! Appreciate you!

3 Likes

My pleasure! (Had to look it up myself the other day - couldn’t remember when I ordered either.) :smile:

2 Likes

Glowforge land has its own dictionary.

Shipping means sending an email…
Speed is not distance moved per second.
Power is not wattage or even a percentage of full power.

Align it perfectly & see what it will look like before you hit print.

Means give or take 1/4".

6 Likes

Is it just me or is this the only place on the planet where “Shipping” means the product hasn’t been built yet?

11 Likes

They should just say what it is

1 Like

Under their logic they can send emails to everyone and say all glowforge shipped

3 Likes

The fact that they “could” and the fact that they haven’t oughta say something. No?

8 Likes

Not really, I’m sure it is the maximum they can get away with by law. It stops the ticker on the proofgrade, so if it takes the full 6 weeks, you are out $20.

They could also claim they were "shipping"
during the makerfaire, and allowed them to stay “on schedule” for the Pro delivery.

I could see it if they were doing 2 weeks until it’s delivered to your door, but a month and a half is just, odd.

5 Likes

Something is set into motion when they send the email; it doesn’t seem to be speculative. So why not look at it in a positive light? Before you get it, you’re in the dark and worried there may be yet another delay. When you get the message, you can start clearing space and preparing projects, because it’s definitely coming in the next 6 weeks. Several of us, myself included, have seen it take more like 2 weeks, so there’s some evidence that the production process is smoothing out.

9 Likes

Still no update on Canadian shipping?? Wow. Guess ill have to make friends across the border to get a Glowforge this year :stuck_out_tongue:

well, it’s supposedly going to be soon. i’m trying to be hopeful, haha! but yeah, several people have gone across the border now and picked it up via a shipping service.

1 Like

It’s probably when you get your production slot, and parts are in inventory, but that’s still a long way from what anyone else would call shipping. I’m not sure why the use of “shipping” in this case seems dishonest or misleading to me, and not others. I’m not as upset about it as it may read. I just think they could use a more appropriate term, or a shorter interval.

I believe Amazon sends shipping notices when product is handed to the carrier.

A shipping notice is better than “I let you down again” I’ll give you that. My space is prepped, and ready to go. I’m not going to bother putting the K40 in the space, because it looks like it will be replaced soon enough.

4 Likes

It seems like they don’t start building your machine until you agree to accept it. They seem to send out a bunch of emails. The build a batch of machines and dispatch them. I cannot fathom why they don’t just build them first and and then send the emails a day or two before they are ready for dispatch.

For me it can be several months delay because unless I get my email before the end of this month I don’t have a six week period where I will be home until February. If they don’t send all the 30 day emails in the next two weeks then the six week period goes past the end of October.

There should be a way to say yes I want it but don’t dispatch it until date X. I can’t think of any other product that has a six week delivery window. Lots of things like cars take 12 weeks for a factory order but you don’t have to be at home for six weeks to receive it.

It looks like the only option to delay is to wait 30 days before replying, wait for the filter or the software to be out of beta. The only option for me seems to be the latter unless the filters are late. Or more likely OS deliveries wont even start this year so it won’t be a problem.

1 Like