Dodecagon Bowl - Of Course...It's Snap Together :)

Happy Friday Everyone!

I was toying with an idea yesterday and designed a bowl to see what I could do with a living hinge. The bowl is about 7.25" w x 2.75" h and made with medium basswood ply. Pretty quick cut about 8 mins. The connectors just snap into place - put the edge into the slot then snap the tab into the hole. Hope you like!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

NewBowl.svg.zip (3.4 KB)

67 Likes

Cool concept. Did you leave the gaps for aesthetic or structural reasons?

4 Likes

Thanks. Partly aesthetic partly structural. This is the first pass at the design. It took about an hour to draw up. I am making changes, it was more just to see how it would work.

3 Likes

You might like the construction of the tabs only icosahedron that I used to make a dymaxion globe ages ago:

2 Likes

Very cool! I like that. Most of my designs are just to play with ideas. They will always lead me somewhere else. LOL

Clever assembly and nice looking bowl. Thank you for your generous share.

2 Likes

Great use of the hinge! :grinning::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks! I wish half the ideas in my head could just magically appear on paper. LOL

4 Likes

I hear that! :smile:

1 Like

Very nice! That’s a clever use of the hinge.

3 Likes

Thanks! I am always looking for new ways to use things in design.

1 Like

You are a natural at designing these things! Really like this bowl design - thanks for the share!

4 Likes

Thanks! I sit and stare at walls a lot. My friends always ask me what I am doing…I am designing of course. I just like to think of things in a new way.

6 Likes

Too true! I’ll be watching tv - an ad comes on; or an interesting something - and my mind immediately goes to designing something in my head. Often times I can’t fall asleep because I’m thinking trough a design. Fun times!

4 Likes

That is the neatest living hinge design that I have seen in a while. Never would have thought of that.

5 Likes

Thank you! I am adjusting the design a little. The hinge is a little fragile. Going to open it up a little.

2 Likes

You are so generous to share your outstanding designs with us—thank you!

2 Likes

So nice work :+1:

2 Likes

this is a neat design! Thank you for sharing it!

2 Likes

Thank you!