Draftboard not cutting all the way!

I’m using Proofgrade medium draftboard and the laser is not cutting all the way through. It cuts enough to punch it out but not clean at all and the back of the piece gets shredded in the process. I believe I have a similar problem to this post: Not cutting through on proofgrade settings

Please help!!

Have you performed the initial troubleshooting steps which include making sure the material is perfectly flat (no warping, bowing, etc.)?

If that is ok, have you performed the cleaning steps (windows, lenses and potentially mirror)?

If that is ok, have you tried on a known good design (such as the ruler or gift of good measure)?

1 Like

Lens, mirror, and other components are spotless. Initially the comb tray was not sitting flush, so I corrected that thinking that it would fix it. It helped, but did not fix the problem - I’m still having to punch out the pieces, but only for draftboard. Wood and everything else works fine.

1 Like

How’s the humidity where you are? It’s a long shot, but soggy mdf would cut just a bit slower.

Yeah, since the other things have been checked, I had thought humidity too, but more from a standpoint of causing just enough warp/swelling in the draftboard to make it not cut completely through with the default settings.

I assume you’re pinning it down during the cuts @pford ? To make sure it’s completely level? I live in a high humidity area and I have to pin everything down, even if it looks perfectly flat.
Cause it’s usually not.

I use these:

A few of these will let me cut through badly warped (over 1/8th inch) quarter inch goofgrade from Home Depot. I never have a problem with the PG stuff as long as I use a couple to stick the wood down flat.

They’re a lifesaver.

1 Like

I’ve never used them, but I’m going to give them a shot! And update this thread to let everyone know how it goes!

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about that, @pford. Could you please let me know if you’re still having trouble with Medium Draftboard?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.