Dragonflies in Koa :-)

Mom-in-law is a big dragonfly fan so my SO found this SVG on Etsy and I messed around until I had the colours/layouts good to go on the :glowforge: (If you buy the .SVG from the originator, I’m happy to send you my edited one)

My favorite is the 3rd down, but the 4th down is also cool looking and a bit more solid since there’s no engraving.

The Koa was done with the PG medium walnut hardwood setting - this is Koa wood from @amandarogers808. I haven’t yet, but I’m considering dropping some alcohol inks on the wings to add colour…we’ll see if I get brave :slight_smile:

The acrylic was cut using PG medium clear acrylic setting and press-fit into the wood. It is .007" larger than the cut outs removed on the main pieces (thank you Inkscape Outset command).

Issues:

The first I accidently set to cut instead of score
The second was off the edge of the material
With the caveat that I managed to crack these in a few small spots which was addressed with small touches of superglue, three and four are wins :slight_smile:

43 Likes

Koa wood is beautiful to work with. On a trip about 4 years ago back from Kauai I packed a 2"x3"x2 ft piece in our luggage so I could work on it. It finishes wonerfully.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat: if you try it, make sure you use the alcohol inks before you cut! And if you only have clear v mirrored, dilute a lot :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

I like the third one too! :sunglasses: :+1:

5 Likes

These are great! Love the press fit thing with two different materials.

5 Likes

Very nice!!

3 Likes

Amazng!

2 Likes

Very nice! I too love dragonflies, mostly because they eat all the blackflies and mosquitoes in my garden!

2 Likes

NIce work! Dragon flies are pretty and pretty cool! Great execution!

3 Likes

Those look very nice! We’ll done!

3 Likes

Lovely! You could also use “Gallary Glass” paints to paint the wings. That what I use for my windchimes and faux stained glass pieces.

5 Likes

Ooh - I think I even have some of this stuff: Gallery Glass Stained Glass Paint | Plaid Online
Thanks!

3 Likes

Nice job!

I wonder if some of that shell veneer in iridescent colors would also look good in the wings?

2 Likes

Love these!! :heart::heart::heart: You might try a few where you just laser the wood and then fill the wings with resin. You could have some fun with little add-ins.

Great job!!

3 Likes

I own resin…I’ve never worked with it - it’s on the list :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@deirdrebeth I hadn’t either until I got the Glowforge. Now I love it! For this kind of thing, I use a light brush of ModPodge on the back of the wood and stick it to a piece of acetate and let it dry before I pour the resin. This keeps the resin from spilling out.

Here’s the brand of resin I got. Very easy to use and doesn’t heat up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0839GN3PF/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 Likes

Resin is on my to do list as well. I’ve seen other people on the forums use in to make some really cool stuff! @deirdrebeth, if you end up using resin on these I’d love to see pictures!

1 Like

Not on these, at least this time. They’ve been boxed up for delivery with the clear wings :slight_smile: I also totally forgot to take a pic of the cool black-eyed Susan I made to suspend them from. Doh!

2 Likes

Older thread, sorry, but this popped up below another discussion and I wondered if your MIL would find it interesting.

My sailplane was the first production fiberglass airplane (serial number 28) and it was called a Libelle - which is German for Dragonfly. Mine was built the year before I was born. N4749S, or 3K on the tail for sport flying. The mount I made for this model to mount alongside my record certificate is the logo for the company - Glasflügel

They kept the Dragonfly logo even though they went on with other aircraft.

4 Likes

Oh that’s cool - I bet she would