Dude! I made a pen :-)

Folks on here were talking about using CA glue to get a shiny surface on wood, that led me to wondering about pens. A quick YouTube video later I figured I could fake it between my Dremel and my Makita

I got a Cuban pen kit from Rockler.com for the innards
Sadly I didn’t realize I also needed a couple other tools, so a trip to Lowes for a long bolt and nut and once again, me faking it :slight_smile:

I cut 33 15mm diameter circles, and then 4 to the diameters of the ends of the pen kit, put them on the bolt and did some quick sanding with the Dremel

It looked hopeful so I took them off and glued the circles together (which of course rotated any pattern I might have developed in the initial sanding) so I started again

Then when the Dremel bit got it to a good shape I put the end of the bolt into the Makita, and moved to some 2000 grit paper (wow that stuff gets “full” quickly). When it felt smooth to my fingers I did the first pass with CA glue, then back and forth with the sandpaper and the glue until it looked shiny.

Of course in the last few moments I totally cracked the smallest of the rings (by the tip) but it’s my first pen and it’ll be a gift to family so I’m letting it go :slight_smile:

Heh - my wood was still in the machine :slight_smile: My fancy fancy pattern in case anyone wants to emulate!

My first try I did the center holes at exactly 9.77mm (outer diameter of the brass tubes that go in the center) presuming kerf would take care of being able to fit them…not so much. The 2nd run enlarged the inner diameter to 9.90mm and that fit beautifully.

74 Likes

It’s gorgeous! :grinning:

5 Likes

I love that your first pen turned out so well. Thanks for the photos and write up.

5 Likes

That’s amazing! Looking at the first photo (finished pen) I never would have guess it started out as 33 separate discs!

4 Likes

That is super cool and super color. That turned out amazing for not being turned at al. Which brings out a point. A pen unturned is a pen that does not have to be round.

3 Likes

Neat project, and great result! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oh my goodness, I think this is going to be the first of many!
It’s beautiful!

4 Likes

Impressive! Looking at the first photo I wondered where the Glowforge came in… then I read your work flow and I am super impressed!

4 Likes

Beautiful in padauk! Wow!

1 Like

Really impressed.

1 Like

Not bad, you can adapt all the edge techniques I’ve been posting about layered boxes to this application and get some really interesting pens.

5 Likes

What a cool way to do the barrel! Never seen it done that way before.

2 Likes

You can rest assured that this has definitely crossed my mind! Even down to the pre-nesting them in a full sheet, and then cutting the circles that you did just recently…later pens!

1 Like

There are some cool triangular pens - though that would require a steady hand since I can’t just roll the sandpaper as it goes by! Hmmmmm

2 Likes

I was thinking about either putting the sandpaper flat like on a piece of scrap and holding the pen/bolt stable or something like a belt sander and manipulating the pen on a bolt that is long enough to hold on the ends.

2 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes

Wow… who’da thunk it?

2 Likes

Clever!

1 Like

That is extremely impressive for a “tools on hand” pen. Congratulations on a beautiful first attempt.

2 Likes

Terrific! You’ve inspired me to try this, but instead I will use my lathe to finish it. Thanks again for the super idea and example!

1 Like