Ear savers with some human friendly tweaks

I have used a thinner acrylic too. I can cut 4 sheets stacked at proof grade medium acrylic settings.
I got in in several colors from Johnson’s plastic

6 Likes

Thanks for your improvements. I’ve been using 0.02 acrylic with good results. I don’t engrave them so I can cut a full sheet in about 10 minutes. I could do a sheet of the original ear savers in about six minutes.

I don’t know if there is a way to redesign the cutting order to make these cut faster. The smooth edges of your version make it worth the extra three minutes.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

This is a total side note but just in case anyone runs into an issue like I did:

I had a hard time getting my youngest to wear a mask if it wasn’t the ones she is used to from the hospital. (She just finished chemo so she’s totally used to wearing a mask but it’s not like we have an infinite amount of disposable masks from the hospital and we need her to wear a cloth mask.) These types of ear savers just didn’t work for her, she’s quite picky (justifiably so).

I found the best solution for her with something cheap that many people already have but if not, they are cheap to get on Amazon. Thin Velcro cable ties. They work great! She wore it this way to a dentist appt and a doctor appt and had zero complaints.

I only wanted to share here because we’re all dealing with various things and if anyone else is struggling to find something that works, maybe this will work.

13 Likes

I would like to sign-up to be contacted for ear savers by want to use 14mil mylar instead of acrylic. It is durable, light and very comfortable to wear. Does anyone know if that would be a problem. I ask because the instructions specifically say 1/8th acrylic.

I cut lots of these from material thinner than the 1/8" acrylic.

2 Likes

It hasn’t been. I did about 10,000 out of 1/16 and 1/32" acrylic. Most people prefer the thinner material because it bends to the shape of the head better.

4 Likes

What settings did you use for the 1/16ths and 1/32ndths thick acrylic because I want to do this too.

So can someone explain how the half Flexi ear saver works? I cannot visualize this in my head. Sorry if this seems like a simple answer that I should know.

1 Like

@StephanieG This might help Flexi Earsavers from your Scrap

1 Like

Such a great improvement to a great item. We have distributed so many and people will love these even more!

God Bless you and your family. Thank you for your thoughtful addition to this topic

1 Like

Hi what settings would you use for 1/16

I’ve not cut 1/16 acrylic myself, but I have seen others use these settings…
Speed: 150
Power: 70

There are more suggested setting in the following Google Spreadsheet. These aren’t official settings from Glowforge, mostly a collection of settings that community members have found to work.

3 Likes

We’re not supposed to discuss power settings in this part of the forum (they got in Everything Else) but I did a fair amount of cutting 1/16 for earsavers. My settings were more pews and zooms (30/25 respectively).

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Will try to remember that.

1 Like

Lawyers. Back in the very early days they weren’t allowed anywhere. Dan got the lawyers to allow them in one unmonitored part of the forum. That way they’re not in any way responsible if someone posts a crazy setting that someone else uses and burns their house down. (A rather overblown fear from my point of view - been teaching laser operations for years and dealing with many other laser manufacturers who have no issues with shared settings. But I don’t make the rules so we were just glad they allowed it in one place anyway.)

3 Likes

Thank you very much. That’s fab

@nancielaing
Did you get the sheet with or without adhesive? Was it the 2mil size you used 4 sheets stacked? Wanting to make some thinner ones for family and co workers. Thanks!

How was the white added @ashley? Did you paint it before unmasking it?

@kristen.pericleous apologies for the slow response. Life has been super busy, and I don’t think I’ve been on the forum since last year.

It’s actually just the masking, left on strategically in the center.