Elemental Fish

I made this necklace charm for my daughter. The design is an inside joke. The reasoning I am sharing is the two tone finish. I engraved the face and then painted it before I removed the protective paper. I have to say for a first time doing that I am quite happy with the results.

74 Likes

cool!

5 Likes

Wow! That looks better than the two-tone acrylic I’ve used!

8 Likes

Very nice! And we can get more color combinations with paint than with the (quite expensive) two tone acrylics. :smiley:

14 Likes

Super fun (and smart)!

6 Likes

Creative and I especially like the Elemental part :smile:

6 Likes

Unfortunately you have a typo. Should be Fluorine.

13 Likes

Yeah! I dig this alot. Turned out great! Glad the painting was so successful. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love the design concept and I love the results of painting before removing the masking. Thanks for sharing!

7 Likes

Looks really nice. I can’t see if this is individual tiles or “faux” tile cuts engraved. If it is faux, that is super impressive engraving on the fillet.

4 Likes

I always thought it was spelled this way.

35 Likes

That looks very similar to the process I was going to try! Thanks for trying out the proof of concept before I had to! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Did you get this from the band Ghoti Hook? it was one of my favorite “weird” bands growing up.

1 Like

That’s pretty amazing. I’m shocked you were able to paint the atomic numbers with such clarity being so small! I guess that’s what laser-precision gets ya.

5 Likes

It is just one piece. The ‘tiles’ are just engraving.

9 Likes

Wouldn’t have guessed that looking at the picture! Nice!

2 Likes

I was concerned the paint would bleed under the tape but I saw no hint of it. If anything I should have done a bit heavier paint to fill in the outer edge.

6 Likes

Finally a reason for masking :slight_smile:

And if you have a reasonably steady hand this could be a way to get multiple colors on a print.

2 Likes

You can use that green “Frog” masking tape from Home Depot or Lowes (etc.), it is designed not to leak paint under it. It has a smoother texture than normal masking tape. - Rich

3 Likes

Not questioning your word on this, of course. Just curious if you’ve actually lasered with it? Thinking that different tapes will react differently to being evaporated by a laser and some may curl up on the edges from the heat resulting in bleeding paint.

4 Likes