Elliptical boxes in Inkscape

I cant believe how easy this was to make using the ellipticall box generater in inkscape!!
I generally use CorelDraw but downloaded lnkscape to have a looksee.
Found this plugin for elliptical boxes.

Make sure you also include inkscape helper extension too or it wont work.

Off to make more cool stuff.:grinning::grinning:

56 Likes

Well darnā€¦I guess I misspelled elliptical when I searched the first timeā€¦I thought I had seen this on the forum before but couldnt find itā€¦

Would link the other thread here, but I gotta figure it outā€¦lol
Updated: Its in this thread

10 Likes

I want! Sooooooo jealous.

4 Likes

green with jealous over here.

glue or press fit

4 Likes

Press fitā€¦ although I may glue it too for durability.

5 Likes

twiddle thumbs in anticipation of receiving the GF :confounded:
Until i get my GF all i can do is read about it :frowning:

That box looks awsome btw

5 Likes

Tried a round oneā€¦of course for my sonā€¦lol
Added a foot so it wouldnā€™t tip over.

28 Likes

ouch, that made my brain hurt trying to find the Inkscape folder and install the files on my mac.

2 Likes

Sorryā€¦:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smirk:

1 Like

eeeek! Love it! Did you just copy the path of the lid to make the handle/knob? Would paint obscure the hinge? What about testing a different hinge pattern? :grin:

I canā€™t wait for my GFā€¦

3 Likes

Now youā€™re just taunting us; but I forgive you. Really, these are such cool boxes! Is it MDF?

4 Likes

Way cool. Love how that turned out.I added the extension to my Inkscape but I havenā€™t tried it out. Now I will have to.

3 Likes

Awesome jobā€¦really fantastic workā€¦and great findā€¦so excited !

3 Likes

That box is magical. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen anything really like it.

Now your son just needs a tiny pikachu to keep in his.

3 Likes

Yes, 3mm MDF. :grin:

3 Likes

The plugin gives you most of what you need to make the boxā€¦
I had to make the lid cut line and the top of the handle shape.
If the paint wasnā€™t too thick I think the hinge would still show okā€¦but I like the color of the ā€œcarmelizationā€. Lol
This hinge pattern works because of the way it fits into the notchesā€¦

2 Likes

I tried it out last night briefly, and it seemed to not extend the two extra arcs (for the lid sides and handle) far enough around. For example, the inner one only had 4 complete tabs, but the top had openings for 5. I suspect that it was user error, but didnā€™t have time to fiddle with the settings and retry it until it would work right though. Apparently you managed to find the right settings for it to actually draw the right number of notches and pockets for the lid and/or handle arcs, as it seems to me that it would be tough to add to them manually after the fact and keep the arc consistent. Any tips on that aspect you can share?

Hereā€™s a walk throughā€¦

12 Likes

The notches on the round sides are the hard part to edit to keep the curve, make sure you get the settings right for thatā€¦
However, I put the square holes in the hinge part for the lid on both top and bottomā€¦ easy to remove and just use the ones you want to match to the handle. When you remove them, just lengthen the cuts to fill inā€¦ if that makes any senseā€¦lol
Go through the tutorial and read what each part does and youā€™ll figure it outā€¦lol

5 Likes

OK, that instructable cleared things up completely! It was a simple case of a bad assumption that the inside arc was aimed at the edges rather than the start of an inside divider under the center rib; apparently there was too much going on when I was playing with it to concentrate properly! :blush:
And the bit about needing to delete a line on the end of the outside arc was an important detail too, that was definitely contributing to my confusion!

3 Likes