Engraved paper and embossing metal

Tried several different settings on 140lb paper to make an impression image to press onto aluminum. It finally worked. I used 18 gauge aluminum annealed and a rolling mill to emboss the metal. Finally successfully after several attempts.

55 Likes

Oh nice! So I assume that aluminum is embossed, then you paint it and sand it clean?

What kind of mill did you use?

2 Likes

Yup i used aluminum patina sand off extra shine the raised areas. I used a Pepe rolling mill

6 Likes

Very nice result! I have an older Cavallin combination mill that was my prized piece of equipment prior to the laser.

4 Likes

What a lovely clear emboss! Great job - endless possibilities!

3 Likes

I did not know that was a thing. Came out really nice! Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Wow. Great result.

3 Likes

Neat! Didn’t know that was a thing either. So much to do!

3 Likes

So, there is some prior art:

There are also a lot of projects that emboss softer materials, paper, leather, etc.

I swear I saw another aluminum embossing project using cardstock, but I can’t seem to find it. I’m not sure anyone has mentioned using a mill to do this though, which is cool.

4 Likes

I’m familiar with embossing in general (and have done it) - just not using paper to emboss metal.

2 Likes

Aha I knew I’d seen it:

9 Likes

Nice work. How did the paper survive? I’ve used leaf skeletons but they were one-and-done.

Now that you’ve got the technique down, you could consider creating images that other metalsmiths would want.

When I was a member of Florida Society of Goldsmiths (FSG), most of us had rolling mills. We were always looking for new patterns. It was tiresome seeing the same brass-plate patterns in everyone’s work. We’d pay a mint for something like this, even if we only got a few uses from it.

I know I’d have been willing to pay for something like this.

7 Likes

Mill? Tell us more about the mill. Do you have a pic?

I have been thinking soft copper flashing and trying to figure a way to get the pressure right, A deep engrave in baltic birch, or even solid maple or hickory could get considerable distance/depth and a hard durometer rubber have the design come out the other side as with repoussé but dead soft silver or gold would work as well,

I did not know of such a group but made custom jewelry in Coconut Grove for many years,

1 Like

Ooooo, now I want a rolling mill. You folks are the most prolific enablers I’ve ever encountered.

8 Likes

I thought you already had an embossing machine? It would be furn to try some leaves with that :grin:

1 Like

Hmmm, you’re right! Just need to get some aluminum.

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Soft Aluminum flashing can be found at most big box stores. If you can call about to people who buy scrap metal you might find soft copper as well.

2 Likes

Oddly enough we get ours from a trophy supply shop. Aluminum, copper, & steel; anodized and not. a goodly sized sheet 1’x 1’ is about $5.00 - $6.00 and they would cut it to size for us.

3 Likes