Engraving on iPad questions

So this is more of an exploratory question then help per say. I attempted to engrave the casing of my long dead MacBook pro, it went really well till it started warping because of the heat. The end result was this:

The warp is pretty severe, as the panel is no longer flat my overall concern at this point if I attempted to do this on my ipad, is that going to mess with my ipad? I’d rather not have a 128gig paperweight but I’d also love to make it look sick. I used the GF default values so none of that was changed.

If you have engraved your iPad please let me know your experience.

Hock

Long ago there was an ipad engraved: iPad A1460 Template (with Snapmarks)

4 Likes

I have not tried anything with an iPad, but in regard to warping I have done an engrave on a sheet of titanium for my parents grave marker (post about that still in progress). In my tests I experienced warping, as well. For my final iteration, I ended up doing small sections at a time and pausing the machine at certain intervals to allow the material to cool down. It was successful, however took a very long time to finish the piece.
I’m guessing that you are seeing the same thing because your design is very complex with lots of small details…which mine was also…concentrating a lot of heat in particular areas.

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.