Explain Your Forum Avatar

If you ever get a change to go to burning man DO IT! It is the biggest gathering of makers and all around great people ever, I was really hesitant to go, but can’t imagine not going now.

3 Likes

Bahaha!

My parents were those “super prepared” - nursery all done up in the right colour/matchy matchy etc… Anyways - Back in the mid 80’s - the ultra sound weren’t that great apparently… my parents were told that I was going to be a boy. So everything was prepped for “Sebastián Adrian Fei-Fang Yee” - everything monogramed with “S” etc…

Then ta-da! Their super girly girl was born. I think in a panic… they named me Sunny Mercedes Xiao-Fang Yee so those monogramed “S” stuff would work for the nursery… lol

And no, I do not have siblings named Rainy or Windy or Cloudy (Which was the joke I had to deal with in my childhood)

11 Likes

It might take me about an hour to fully explain, but for now - it’s a vole, painted by my late wife, Pippa, and it’s using a brace and bit, drilling holes in a fan stick. That’s fan stick as in folding fans. I’m a fan maker, and this image was part of a fan we did that showed all the stages in making fans by hand, but populated with voles, rather than people.
If you’re desperate to know more, google ‘fanmaker’ as one word, or ‘dragon hedge’ + ‘Norfolk’, but that’s another story.
John

17 Likes

I have had facial hair since I turned 21. Almost everyone who knows me has never seen me sans moustache and beard. My kids wouldn’t know who I was if I showed up clean shaven. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine is from an ancient glyph which pre-dates homosapiens found lasered in a fossilized Proofgrade piece of carbon. Either that or just the first letter of my “name” because I was too lazy to create an avatar, I can’t remember which one. :thinking:

16 Likes

I hope to come visit in a couple years.

2 Likes

Hiking the Camino is still on my bucket list.

Said much better than I did.
Good one.

When my aunt and uncle (last name Hailey) were asking for names for their first I wanted Windy Stormy. They went with Erin. I still think they made a mistake.

8 Likes

hahaha! Windy Stormy is awesome!

2 Likes

So, how did your cat get the name Starbucks? - Rich

3 Likes

Haha! I actually had another member private msg and asked me that!

It’s not as a good/exciting of a story - the only reason he is named Starbucks is because I’m a Starbucks Coffee Addict. When I take Starbucks (The Cat) out for rides and I drive through Starbucks (The coffee place) to get coffee; the baristas at the window always gushes over him as he sits in the front passenger seat. They ask what’s his name and I say Starbucks, they all laugh. Oh and Starbucks (The Cat) understands when I say “I’m going to Starbucks” - he associate that with a car ride… so it’s standard in my house to say “I’m going to the Green Canopy Place” so he doesn’t think he is going for a ride. LOL

16 Likes

Thank you. That’s funny. - Rich

1 Like

I’m a gamer, of the Video and Tabletop varieties. The 20 sided dice are a standard of Tabletop role playing games, and 3 are shown in my pic. Next?

17 Likes

Mine is me trying recline in my chair to read, or try to use the computer, one of my cats Lily, thinks I am her bed.
Sitting here trying to type, I have my arm on the desk, and guess where she is, yep sitting on my arm, her head on my shoulder going to sleep.
Is that all I am, a bed for a cat.:smile_cat:
It could be worse.

19 Likes

My avatar is what my face will look like when I get my Glowforge. My real name is Greg Knesel. The “K” in that is silent but most people don’t pronounce it that way. If my user name were gknesel no one would know how to say that. But GenieSoul makes it easier.

16 Likes

My avatar is just the first letter of my E-mail that pulled by default for my username and hence forum avatar. I’ve kept it since I hit the little heart below a post and discovered it does this:

feels almost like a super power.
Commonly I use this:

Which was from a contract near Atlanta, Georgia. I inline skated a lot back then and the Silver Comet trail was great to get out on.

15 Likes

I liked that…- Rich

4 Likes

Mine is a render from a model I made a long time ago in Rhino. My goal was to write out “Hirudin”, but make it look like the “Sharpie” logo. I found a font that looked similar and then tweaked the outlines of the letters to make it match a little better.

Unfortunately, I lost the original model when a hard drive died… well, I broke it. So the only files I have of that project are a few low resolution renders I made to use as forum avatars.

17 Likes

Oh shoot…I have reached the max “Likes” for the day…so early too. - Rich

2 Likes