My husband’s aunt asked me if I could make her a sign for her to hang in her home (indoors). She wanted the family crest and last name on it. I told her I would send it to her as a gift, because I made something for everyone else in the family so far (also, I told her if I screwed it up and she didn’t like it, at least she won’t feel like she wasted money on it).
I figured it was the perfect chance to test out some 2-colored material I bought. I made it…but then I thought it was too plain. I wanted a way to display it that wasn’t too wild (I went through a ton of ideas…most were gawdy that I thought would be good to show off the Glowforge, but be too distracting for the sign).
I made a file for the frame, then added some snips of a file that I bought from @geek2nurse’s etsy shop (hope you don’t mind; I made my own kumiko pattern, but I knew yours would cut perfectly without disintegrating or catching fire and I haven’t tested mine yet).
Anyways, I’m super happy with how it turned out. But… I made a few mistakes. First, the two-color stuff scratches easily…how easily? I used an eye glass lens cloth to clean off my fingerprints, and suddenly the whole surface had noticeable scratches on it. I sanded it down (gently…didn’t want to go through the layers), and my husband sprayed it with a 2-part clearcoat (just so happens he was painting the car when I was doing this). However, I had to sand and polish again, so then a very tiny bit of the center where it should be black, I accidently went overboard and it’s gold now…and driving me CRAZY.
Also, I had adjusted my frame file size, and I forgot to increase the size of the crest file…so the score line I had on the frame to mark where I was going to glue the crest was now a quarter inch too large all around. So I flipped it over and glued the crest to the backside. It looked good afterwards because the spacing was more even throughout now…however…since it wasn’t scored, when I clamped it down, it seems the crest shifted a little…and it’s not even. UGHH…
I’d do it over and keep this one for myself, but seems like everyone is having a walnut plywood shortage and I’m almost out…plus, now we’re out of clearcoat. I used the 2-color material in glossy black with gold underlay, black acrylic, walnut plywood, draftboard (this is used to make a very thin frame in the middle layer to hold the black acrylic in place. I engraved the back of the acrylic and cut the final layer of plywood so that a screw or nail can fit in there and sit flush against the wall.