Feature request: Folders on the Dashboard

Hi! The search-by-name feature available in preview for premium is nice, but I think it would also help to have folders you can put your files in for organization purposes. I think that’d help me immensely in terms of organization, especially if I can’t remember what I named something. Thank you!

1 Like

Agreed. Glowforge owners have been requesting this since 2017: Search results for 'design folders' - Glowforge Owners Forum

4 Likes

People should keep requesting it :wink: Squeeky wheels eventually get greased.

6 Likes

Sure. Maybe for purchased multi-material designs so the material files don’t keep getting separated and lost. :angry:

I would point out GF isn’t trying to be a storage hub for all your printable projects however.

Case in point; a download function to be used before the 30 day limit on unused created designs auto deletion kicks in.

1 Like

This is one of those problems that should have been planned for long ago. Did anyone buying a glowforge ever think “I am just going to make a dozen or so of the same thing for the life of the machine?”

It’s a little odd to me that storage and organization seem to have been an afterthought.

2 Likes

that doesn’t mean the interface shouldn’t be structured in a more usable format.

4 Likes

I would love the feature as well. It doesn’t take long to have a whole lot of files!

1 Like

The original framing of the interface was as a print driver only. Upload, resize, position, print, and then forget. The same way a normal paper printer interface acts. I’m sure there was an idea of the design shop in the background but it wasn’t a focus at all. And as things have morphed into how they work now, it would have been better at the beginning, but it’s how it is now and moving forward.

Still in favor of folders for multi-material/certain sized projects gotten from GF. Not saying it shouldn’t be, just pointing out what is more or less likely.

4 Likes

I second that request!

I’m generally working on at least two projects at once (yes I do have ADD, why do you SQUIRREL?), and they’re often more than one “panel”, so even with a 30 day limit being able to group in a folder would still help.

2 Likes

Hi @designatednerd, thanks for the suggestion! All of the feedback in this thread is great and I am going to pass it along to our product team.