Felt cutting?

Hey guys!! Just curious if you think this would work to cut in the machine? I know some people have had luck cutting felt but wanted check with you peeps before I order the material!

5 Likes

Yes, you can cut merino wool felt in the Glowforge. It doesn’t smell nice, however.

4 Likes

I recall several people cutting real felt; I’ve only cut polyester felt with a self-adhesive backing. Not a great feel, but it was for the bottom of a coaster so worked for me.

My only question is what does wool blend mean? A blend of different wools or a blend of wool and a synthetic fiber. Ask the seller a question. If it is a wool-synthetic you’ll want to know what the synthetic material is. Probably polyester, which is fine, but no harm in asking the question.

3 Likes

Thanks guys!! I ordered it and will try to update ya’ll to how it goes!

2 Likes

looking forward to seeing your results.

1 Like

The amazon.com version from the same seller has an answered question that says The material of this thick wool blend felt of 3mm is high-quality Polyester+ wool blend Felt Fabric 30% wool + 70% polyester

1 Like

The heavy industrial 100% wool felt I tried worked great for me. I took a pass on the blend after getting the composition from the vendor on Amazon.

Thread here: No-Sew Felt Tray

2 Likes

I have done a large amount of cutting and engraving felt both 100% wool and polyester. See this post for my 3mm felt. Wool engraving unfortunately rubs off over time. Polyester is better for engraving as you melt the pattern in and it looks sharp. But you don’t get as much color contrast with polyester. https://community.glowforge.com/t/3mm-felt-engraving/18147?u=phoenix

5 Likes

Felt cuts great, but don’t try to do tiny details. The felt can’t keep a structure.

4 Likes

That depends on the type of felt you are using. Wool felt does not hold small details well, but polyester felt melts the edges and holds details quite well, down to a point of course.

2 Likes

Wool cuts quite nice but that burning hair smell is not pleasant…lol

1 Like

I need to cut some for coasters as well. Do you mind telling me the settings you used for this?

Thanks.

Manda

250 speed, 40 power and 1 pass.

6 Likes

You’re a gem. I used 250/32 1 pass. It worked well and kept the felt from blowing around. Sticker side up. I appreciate you answering to help me. THANK YOU.

3 Likes

I made fire hydrant shapes for firefighter coasters.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Your are cut beautifully! Is it 5mm felt or 3mm? I’ve been trying to cut 5mm wool felt and I can’t even get a full cut through the material.

Welcome to forum. When I tested felt, it was the 100% wool type. I used 190/70 or 200/65 speed/power settings for materials that was .14" thick.

3 Likes

Welcome! I used craft felt 2mm

2 Likes

What settings did you use for the craft felt and does it need to have a sticky back?