Fidget Pi (not the jerk in charge of the FCC)

I made a bunch of these for a work event yesterday and I almost forgot to take picture before I gave them away.

37 Likes

Very nice!

Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s acrylic?
If I may, howā€™d you get the crisp white numbers?
Also, did you make or purchase the center holder thingy? (Iā€™m sure this has a proper name.)

These are great.

You were close, itā€™s my understanding the proper name is the ā€˜center holder thingamajigā€™ but Iā€™ve not found a source for these. Perhaps @chris1 knows an alternative name and source?

1 Like

Fidget Spinner Caps.

https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Holody-Spinner-Bearings-Plastic/dp/B072MWSMGK/

Back when fidget spinners where the rage, I used to machine them out of 6061 (Aluminum)

7 Likes

It looks like thereā€™s an engraved layer of clear acrylic over a colored acrylic. So the engraving on the clear stands out.

Ya know, when I was looking at the pics the left one made me think that, too. But I wasnā€™t sure. And now that I look closer, thatā€™s probably the case. But now Iā€™m not sure if these are ā€œsingle-sidedā€ or not. Would be hilarious to do the other side and just have the number continue from where it leaves off on the 1st side. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool! I like the Pi addition. :grinning:

Yes, the text is back engraved on clear acrylic, and thereā€™s an unengraved piece of opaque acrylic behind it. The bearings are very tight and hold everything together like a bought one.

Itā€™s the same as Miscellaneous Projects, Not Elsewhere Classified where you can see the layers more easily. Since I have the template from that one, itā€™s easy enough to open it up and change the text for a different occasion.

The caps and bearings are purchased from Amazon. Iā€™ve been ordering the parts in bulk-ish whenever the prices look good (they vary a lot) so Iā€™ve got everything in stock when I want to make some. These are the products Iā€™ve used:

• Cheap bearings for outside weights (and the spinner after a generous cleaning with WD-40, if the recipient doesnā€™t deserve a deluxe model)
  • Ceramic bearing for people worthy of a $6 upgrade, 3 models: 1, 2, 3. Iā€™m sure people who are really into fidget spinners can tell the difference and care, but I canā€™t and donā€™t.
  • Caps. Iā€™ve 3D printed some, but itā€™s easier to buy them.

The original design I got from a web site I donā€™t have the link to on this computer, but I can find it later. Assuming the license allows redistribution, Iā€™ll post my file.

11 Likes

These are great!

Thanks for taking the time to provide the product links youā€™ve used!

Hereā€™s the link to the files: Customizable Fidget Spinner

2 Likes

Thanks @chris1! Finally got around to ordering some parts. Great design, went together perfect!

4 Likes

I found the design easy to customize. Using Inkscape, I duplicated the outer cutline and used [Path->Inset] to shrink it just a little bit ā€“ created my custom text and used [Text->Put On Path] ā€“ edited the text for length, converted the text to an object and mirrored. Iā€™m quite happy with how it turned out, thanks again!

5 Likes