Filter clogged after ~50 prints?

Received compact filter on Nov 14, started used the filter intensively on Nov 16, and by Nov 20 it’s totally clogged? Perhaps 50 cuts / engraves.

Mostly acrylic, a lot of medium maple, and some draftboard. I get that the resins and glues can be a problem, but not after so little work.

That has to be the least impressive way I’ve ever spent $1,000.

Yeah, there’s a lot of particulate generated by these machines, not just fume - the filter will face-load. Draftboard is especially bad. Venting outdoors is by far the best option if it could be made available to you.

6 Likes

I think the best use of the filter is where there are no other options (unless the $ of a replacement element is not an issue) Like a demonstration in a public space.

I really think the company should do a better job of educating the consumer of its limitations. I have experience with mechanical filtration so I never even considered a filter - but I own my own home and can punch a hole in it anywhere I choose.
Not everyone owns their home, or has an understanding of mechanical filtration.

There maybe another forger here that could use it for a maker fair, You could try and sell it.

Occurs to me that the forum could use a “For Sale” section…

7 Likes

I think you could increase the life of your filter by installing a cyclone knockout before it to catch the larger particles. That is what I’m going to do anyway when mine shows up if i even use it, i plan on only using it if I want to bring my machine to a craft fair.

We already have one machine running in the house that has been hooked up to an extractor that we punched through the wall. This was for a second machine to deal with order volume, and the only option is to install a chimney through the ceiling and roof which we were trying to avoid.

Through the roof it will have to be.

1 Like

Agreed. The filter is a limited use option for unique circumstances unless money is no object.

I may try to bodge it with a two stage solution. I think the primary problem with the current design is that it is too compact and the initial filters are too dense. A large unit with disposable top-layer filters would likely work.

1 Like

Air Filter Latest says:

When these units start arriving in people’s hands, I guess we’ll find out if it makes a substantial difference.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry that we missed this thread. There are a lot of factors that go into the lifespan of your cartridge. Some of those include how often you print, the designs you print, cutting versus engraving, and whether you follow the directions in the user manual for proper operation. For that reason, it is difficult to predict how long a filter cartridge will last.

To estimate, we tested Proofgrade materials with a standard Glowforge test print. It is 11 minutes long (the average duration of a Glowforge print, and is a mix of cutting engraving that reflects typical usage). If used only for cutting, cartridge life may be roughly half as long. If used only for engraving, it may be more than twice as long.

Note that we have only tested, and can only recommend, Proofgrade materials. Materials from other sources may work just as well, but some materials may clog the cartridge almost immediately. For example, MDF products ( including Proofgrade Draftboard ) will dramatically lower your filter cartridge life.

Material Test prints before cartridge change
Medium Proofgrade Hardwood (Maple, Cherry, etc) (1/8") 1228
Medium Proofgrade Acrylic (1/8") 702
Thick Proofgrade Acrylic (1/4") 702
Medium Proofgrade Plywood (1/8") 175
Thick Proofgrade Plywood (1/4") 1345
Medium Proofgrade Leather 1170

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble again, or have any other questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!

2 Likes