Finish on Baltic Birch

Hey all, I’m making products using BB. I’m considering doing some kind of simple finishing before shipping. I’ll be generally doing flat pack so I’m hoping for something I can do easily to the sheets either prior to lasering or after.

I wiped down some things with Murphy’s prior to taking photos and I liked how it deepened the color a bit and brought out the grain more but I’m wondering if there is something better suited to this. I know things like mineral/orange oil exist so I’m wondering if anyone has tried anything like those other than stain and poly.

1 Like

I’ve done both. I like feed-n-wax (citrus/beeswax mix) and danish oil (made of danish, idk).

That being said, my preference is matte wipe-on polyurethane. It goes on easily and dries quickly since you wipe on/wipe off immediately.

6 Likes

I use Tung oil mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits (which helps it dry faster). I adore what it does to all woods.

5 Likes

I was looking at Feed & Wax (howard products specifically). I’ve seen it on hardwoods but wasn’t sure how it would go on BB.

@deirdrebeth Oooh that’s gorgeous. I’ll have to look into that too!

1 Like

i use feed ‘n’ wax sometimes, too. but my goto (not necessarily for BB, but for my exotic hardwoods) is mahoney’s walnut oil. haven’t used the walnut oil on BB, tho.

2 Likes

I used to use tongue oil, but I kept getting splinters in my mouth.

7 Likes

Groan!

3 Likes

if your tongue is “oily,” you may want to see a doctor about that.

2 Likes

@deirdrebeth those are great! My granddaughter is getting a guitar for Christmas. I may have just found a stocking stuffer for her! :wink:

1 Like

Enjoy! BTW, get the width of the guitar neck if you can. I had to remake one for my sister since one of her guitars had a thicker neck than the other two!

We bought her the guitar, so it will be here in a day or two! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Ask a woodworker their favorite finish, get a different answer for each :wink:

I love Odie’s Oil, it smells nice and I can spread it on with my hands without being poisoned by it. A small jar goes a very, very long way. If you get it, also get the Bloxygen to keep the jar from curing over time (it will last that long!). I use it on the back of cut puzzles by spreading it between my hands and then rubbing it into the wood surface so that I don’t deposits in the cuts.

2 Likes

I use Odie’s for some stuff (kind of a sort of “sponge-worthy” evaluation); but my favorite oil finish is Rubio Monokote. Not every project or recipient is worth the Rubio :grin:

For film finishes there’s nothing like a dozen coats of lacquer.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.