Firmware update indication on the button

Continuing the discussion from Stuck on "Needs Calibration":

Seems like a good idea would be to do something different with the button to indicate that a firmware update is happening, so people don’t think the calibration is stuck and turn it off and on again.

16 Likes

All colors flashing sequentially. :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Disco Download :sparkler:

10 Likes

Even an alert in the interface.

6 Likes

ANY indication would be better than the apparently current “none”.

I lost many hours of work yesterday trying to figure out where the problem was. Finally, at some point, it worked – after being turned on/off many times, letting things sit, testing networks, manually refreshing bed image, and so on…

Had there been a simple “Updating Firmware” message or slow, purple (more magenta, maybe) fading button, I would have waited patiently instead of considering not using this machine for anything time-sensitive. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Good suggestion - will hopperize.

@gwygonik: We didn’t have any firmware push yesterday. I’d suggest starting a Problems & Support ticket. From your description, it sounds like a wifi connectivity issue - a neighbor starting a big download on a conflicting channel or something - but I’m not the expert on such things.

2 Likes

So I 100% would love to see this. Should it go into P&S so it gets to the right people?

1 Like

I think I posted it in P&S and @Jules moved it.

1 Like

Thanks @dan.

Thankfully I don’t have any neighbors and wifi to/from the unit seemed to be working okay as I was able to use the GFUI to manually refresh the bed image, and there’s only one other device on the same wifi. :man_shrugging:

Thanks for hopperizing; any status indicators of any sort will help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I did. My bad - I misunderstood the thread. I thought it was just a discussion not something that you were looking for an answer from Support on.

Happy to put it back. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

Yes just a “its in the hopper” or “we are not going to do that”.

3 Likes

In my day job I designed and programmed s USB “Disco Button” with 12 RGB LEDs that you could download complex sequences to. It was based on this: Buttons : 400 Series. Probably a bit over the top for a GF.

5 Likes

I would think it would make a great escutcheon.

5 Likes

The idea for the button light would be OK…sometimes… but for me, my main computer is in a different room and I’m usually multitasking on it while I wait for the print to load…so a button of a different color or whatever would be of no use to me. Occasionally, I’m near the Glowforge itself…and in that case an alert of that kind would work for me.

1 Like

I think it does firmware upgrades when you switch it on so you probably would be next to it then, wondering why it isn’t calibrating.

1 Like

Yes and no. If you don’t mess with the power switch or lift the lid during calibration then it’s not a problem. So would have to be next to it to screw something up. For me 90% of the time I turn it on and immediately walk upstairs. Only rarely do I watch the cal process. Never had it not complete.

3 Likes

In addition to the excellent ideas here, I’d really appreciate it if the online troubleshooting page could include a definitive list of button color codes: ready for setup, too hot, too cold, just right (ready to print), nuclear war is imminent, etc.

Given that approx 1-in-12 men and 1-in-200 women are color blind in one form or another, having clearly labeled high-quality images of each button state would be a great help.

5 Likes

Teal means it’s in wifi setup.
Yellow means check the UI.
Right now, that should be it - we occasionally see other colors when something really strange is wrong (like one of the RGB LEDs is dead!)

3 Likes

It would be nice if that yellow button checking UI indicated that it was updating, not just calibrating.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback! I’ve recorded it and will make sure the team gets it.