First trial at jewelry

I’m sure, but I am selling generally, too. I can always order more if I have to. Besides, I’m already waiting on another order.

Well in that case, I like #4536 …what are you selling them for?

2 new adds, though these are for daughters and not available to the public. Not the best pictures, but beautiful pieces.

20 Likes

Sweeeet! :grinning:

Braggart. Look at me the fancy color guy. :grin:

5 Likes

That came out fantastic!

Wow these are amazing, would you mind sharing your engraving settings? I have tried engraving stones with not great luck. How are are you determining the height of the object? Wonder if you’re using calipers or just guessing?

Thanks!

Calipers for thickness, measured at the thickest point. I mostly do this for the most accurate placement of the image.

Stone tends to vary a little for settings. These are all agate. I am still dialing in the settings, but what I’ve used recently is:
400/30/270/1 (speed/power/lpi/passes). After evaluation, it does sometimes need a second pass at the same, though not always.

I’m thinking to test it at 300 speed or 35 power. Obviously, the smaller the area, the faster the engrave.

I have accidentally engraved one at 100 power, but I wouldn’t deliberately do that as agate can crack from the stress, according to sources I’ve read.

8 Likes

I’ve used 1000/35/450/1 for agate. It seems to be a pretty forgiving material. By far the best stone I’ve tried.

3 Likes

These look great. Do all of the stones that this person is selling (that you’ve bought) have smooth, flat surfaces…or do you have some that are a bit uneven and more difficult to engrave?

Thanks Jason! Keep up the great work.

It is pretty forgiving as long as you don’t overpower it. Underpower, at most, just needs a another pass. In theory, anything below 50 power and/or above 250 speed should be no problem at all. since I’m paying for each stone, I do run a little paranoid/careful.

2 Likes

The stones I have purchased always have at least one smooth, polished side. It is not always flat, that depends from stone to stone a little. I have had a few where both sides were both polished AND essentially flat. Especially on larger pieces, there may be some unevenness to the back of the stone as it took multiple cuts to get all the way through. Some of it just depends on the intended style of the piece, too, though larger pieces tend to be less flat, though able to sit very solidly in the laser.

1 Like

An additional piece added to my produced (and quickly gone) list.

The white, more crystalline sections do engrave differently, sometimes including a little flaking. It still creates a very beautiful and unique piece.

10 Likes

Additional scale element, 4" ceramic tile.

3 Likes

Graphic inspired by a posting at Deviant Art. I sent a request to the artist inquiring about licensing, and discovered that they stopped posting 2.5 years ago. So I tried to my hand at making a very similar image by hand. Then I placed it on some jewelry. Here’s the results.

11 Likes

10 Likes

Oooh! Turquoise turned out pretty too!

Pretty sure that one is a turquoise-colored piece of agate, but I do have some turquoise around here somewhere for an eventual project.

1 Like

Worth mentioning, your supplier has a “25% off everything” Black Friday sale going right now.