"Flourish and Blotts" Book Box Window Display

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone had safe and happy holidays! Just finished up a piece for a teacher friend of ours, who is also a Potter head. Having no desire to remake many of the the things in my MIrror of Erised nook, I had to come up with something else. She’s an English teacher, and I had the idea to do a Flourish & Blotts Window in a book box. But I didn’t want to do a straight replica with that gaudy “Magical Me” Lockhart picture; I’m sure they change their window display frequently like any store does?? So, it has a “Back to School, 25% off” sign today. Along with stacks of the Advanced Potions text book, Rita Skeeter’s expose on Albus Dumbledore, Unfogging the Future (divination text book), The Tales of Beetle the Bard, A History of Magic by Bathelda Bagshot, The Practical Pocketbook of Herbology, and a stack of The Quibbler magazines.

The inside cover has the descriptive passage of Flourish & Blotts from the book, framed in the Mirror of Erised (yes, I did see that I have a typo and I have to figure out how to re-print and salvage it :frowning: ) But, fixing mistakes is part of the blood, sweat, and tears (I mean, the love…yeah, the love).

Used the GF to engrave/cut the window frame, mirror frame, interior shelves and chalkboard, and cover emblem on medium PG Draftboard, and the window panes from medium clear acrylic. The rest is all hand measured/cut 1/16" chipboard, cardstock, lighting and wiring, some dowels and cardstock for the pull-shade, etc.

Thank you for stopping and taking a look, and until next creation, Happy Forging!

51 Likes

I love it!

8 Likes

No problem.
Really like your work on that front cover. Just catches the eye.

7 Likes

What a treasure!

6 Likes

All the little details are just fantastic!

7 Likes

Looks amazing

6 Likes

Wonderful!’

6 Likes

Looks awesome! I’m not seeing any typo’s except the extra comma after Blotts. I was assuming it was the title, but then I saw that was the title in the UK. I pulled out my book just to compare :rofl: :rofl:

9 Likes

UPDATE: Fixed it!! Though, by ‘fixed it’ I actually mean found a way to embrace it! Essentially hung a frame around the drawing on the wall instead of washing it off. This ONLY works specifically because she is an English teacher, and I think her sense of humor would appreciate it.

11 Likes

Ahaha. I totally missed that. I suppose I was too focused on the body of the paragraph…and the fact that I was used to “Sorcerer’s”

6 Likes

That is so amazing!

5 Likes

Okay, I have a confession! I am apparently NOT as big of a Potter Head as I thought I was, because silly me did not actually realize it was put out with different names in different parts of the world. The whole reason I actually caught my typo was because the next day, I had a brain moment where I didn’t know who I was and kept asking myself “is it Philosopher or Sorcerer? what the heck?” So, I suppose either one is correct enough? :rofl:

7 Likes

Beautiful piece! Books always make me happy.

5 Likes

I always look forward to your new creations - they’re so delightful!

3 Likes

I was kind of surprised that the publishers expected people in the UK to get the “philosopher’s stone” reference (the predominant target of alchemy in the Middle Ages) but, felt they had to change it for U.S. audiences. I always thought that was kind of a neat callback to real history in HP. As above, so below.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: Not going to lie, whenever I see “Philosopher’s Stone,” my brain thinks Full Metal Alchemist.

At one point in time, my kids started reading The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, but they never had all the books at the library and with the gap between finding books, they lost interest.

4 Likes

This is so amazing! did you create the file or find one elsewhere? i would to make his or something similiar for my daughter in law. she loves everything hp and loves books.

2 Likes

Most of us (Meaning Me) cant spell anyway. I do love the whole thing. especially the way you lit it and hiding the power source.

3 Likes

Ohmygosh, this one might be one of my favorites! I love the way you packaged it—that dimensional front cover piece is gorgeous. I’m betting the friend was over the moon!

1 Like

I love this! I work in an English Department and recently bought a book nook file I want to edit to look like one of the faculty offices. You did such a nice job!

1 Like