Fully engraved pick guard

so, this was my 2 hr engrave that i lightly sweated out today after i saw i’d left a zeiss wipe wrapper in the GF about 15 mins in. no harm done in the end, it eventually moved to the front of machine in between the door and the crumb tray and out of harm’s way.

hopefully pics tomorrow of it installed on this guitar, which i engraved a couple of weeks ago for my buddy Chris to build. which then will be used by the mezcal company i have a small part of. i decided it needed something fancier than a plain black pickguard. tested out mirrored silver acrylic, but it was too much next to the engraved hardware. can’t wait to see how it looks on the wood.

53 Likes

That is amazing! It looks a little like tooled leather!

5 Likes

Wow, nice. How deep is it?

3 Likes

it’s 1/16" acrylic and it looks like at least a few areas i’m close to 3/64" at the deepest part.

this is not a “playing” guitar, so much (or at least not intended to be). more of a “product shot” and “look at this cool guitar i have” (says the drummer). i might have dialed it back a little more for a guitar that was going to be spending any real time on stage. And i’ll tell chris to leave the paper backing on it just for a tiny little bit of extra stability. but going for maximum effect means taking a little more risk at the depth.

4 Likes

Couple of angled shots. Will get better when it’s installed and flattened out by the screws tomorrow.

28 Likes

Great looking piece. I am glad the wrapper stayed out of the way.

2 Likes

That’s beautiful! What the heck color of acrylic is that anyway? Looks black…yet looks also bluish.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s black. Could just be the light giving it a little blue cast.

1 Like

It’s so fantastic! Really, really beautiful.

1 Like

Oh man, that. Is. Beautiful!
At first glance I thought"Wow! That looks 3D"! It is! The side lighted shot really shows it. :sunglasses:

I’ll bet it took a while.

1 Like

Very pretty! I’m looking forward to seeing the finished shots. :slight_smile:

1 Like

literally: 1hr 58m. and that’s after dialing the LPI down a step after testing (and taking the original image and adding some contrast in PS). it was originally going to be 3.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try this since my dad is a guitar enthusiast. Would you be willing to share where you got the guitar kit from? I’m clueless about them and want to get a good one I know will fit in the GF. Please and thank you.

i’ll ask Chris for some advice and share. he’s built a bunch of different guitars, so i’m sure he’s buying things piecemeal and putting what he wants in each.

i know the bodies he’s just picked up in different places (like ebay). we started with a couple of cheap ones (like $40 for the body blank) so if something happened when we did engravings, it was a low-risk.

i haven’t measured other bodies yet, but a telecaster body fits comfortably inside

1 Like

It looks awesome! well done!

2 Likes

Ok thank you. I’ll check out ebay first. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That came out great! I wonder how it impacts the integrity of the acrylic for items that are used. I’ve never considered and all over acrylic engrave.

2 Likes

it’s definitely a lot less stable. it’s going to be screwed into a 1.5" thick slab of wood, so that will help :wink: . i think it’s really important to think about how you’re going to use a piece.

also, while this is a little unstable, it’s also 1/16 acrylic. if you did the same engrave in a 1/8 or thicker, it would be a lot more stable. 1/16 is already a very flexible piece of material.

1 Like

Oh wow, that is amazing! I’d be chewing my nails on that engrave too. Well done!

2 Likes

Oh, yeah. I can’t even begin to thinking about engraving my 1/16 acrylic. Yours is impressive, though.

1 Like