GF forever scanning/Not booting up

Greeting everyone,

Today our trusty GF will not boot up properly, with the machine either stuck in “scanning” or “centering” mode.

Hard restart 3 times, same with the laptop and browser, but no luck.

It seems as if the problem is with the interface, hopefully not the GF.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :smiley:

Take good care, one and all - Will

Go to the support site and search for “stuck centering” for a list of troubleshooting steps. :blush:

1 Like

What she said.

1 Like

Thanks so much. After posting the first thought was “why didn’t you search the forums first?”

3 Likes

So, I fear we may have a bad cable.

I’ve performed all the procedures called for in the manual as well as the forum. Wifi is reset and fine, everything is cleaned, etc. but no luck.

Based on the information in the discussion areas I’m assuming a ticket is created by posting here and that I should not also send an email to the good folks in support.

If I’m missing anything I humbly appreciate the info, if not just a quick thanks again to everyone on the forums for all the help and great inspiration.

1 Like

You got it! They’ll check in within one business day (typically) and contact you by email to arrange the replacement - assuming that’s the issue. They can quickly check the logs to confirm.

Thanks so much :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello @sneakesquirrel,

Thank you for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge is getting stuck during scanning.

I took a look at the logs for your unit and can confirm what everyone else here has already said, the issue is likely with the black lid cable.

Before replacing the cable, I’d like to double check that all of your cable connections are well seated and the clips are closed.

Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, please take a photo and attach it to your reply. Don’t try to adjust or reseat the cable until reaching back out to us.

If everything is connected properly, then the next step is to replace the black cable. You can purchase a new cable from our shop here: Black Lid Cable. Once the cable is received, you can follow this link, Replace Black Lid Cable, for installation instructions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Update: New cable installed as per the instructions with no effect. The machine is still stuck in SCANNING mode.

The attached pictures sure seem to show that an “electrical event” of some sort caused burnt areas on some pins.

A week ago (or so) I reported to the good folks at GF via email that this warranty replacement machine experiences a “hiccup” during powering up where everything just shuts down momentarily but then continues to boot up and work fine. At this point I can’t but help wonder if the two are related?

As with many GF owners our micro-business relies very heavily on this machine. This really stinks.

What’s next?

I’m sorry for the trouble after installing the new cable. Thank you for the detailed photos you’ve already shared. So that we can investigate further, could you please send us photos of the three connections that the cable plugs into, like these examples below? When we receive them, we will take a close look at the connections and follow up with next steps.

Thank you very much for the reply. Please find the pictures below. My camera isn’t the greatest so I hope the images meet your needs. Please also note that I’ve included two pictures of the middle connector, one with flash and one without.

Take good care

Hi @sneakesquirrel - thanks for sharing those photos.

I’d like to see if we can reconnect this left connection, as it looks a bit loose to me:

Could you please try the following:

1. Turn off your Glowforge and open the lid

2. Gently open the clip of the left connection

3. Slide the end of the cable out of the slot

4. Notice the two smaller bumps on the end of the cable

5. Line the cable up straight along to the slot

6. Slide the cable back into the slot, making sure the small bumps fit into the little grooves on each side of the cable as in the photo below

7. Gently close the clip like a hinge

8. Turn your Glowforge back on

9. Wait two minutes to let your Glowforge connect and calibrate

If this does not resolve the problem, please let us know and we’ll advise on the next steps.

1 Like

You were right! Thank you for the astute observation. Lighting isn’t (or, wasn’t) optimal where the GF is located. The tabs were not aligned.

It’s awesome when something wrong can be corrected because I did it incorrectly… and didn’t cause us more damage in the process :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

Wow! Good eyes! :+1:

Hey @sneakesquirrel - I’m glad it was an easy fix for us, that’s great news!

I’m going to go ahead and close this topic since you’re back up and running, please feel free to reach out if you need further assistance in the future.