Gingerbread log cabin

Incredible. That would be a hell of a house to live in.

2 Likes

Amazing! What are the windows made of?

Thanks! The windows are poured isomalt, which is like sugar when melted, such as for making hard candy. The difference is that isomalt is more resistant to humidity.

2 Likes

Fantastically detailed! Great job!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Oh my, the ickle teeny glowforge just finished me off! Outstanding work! :star_struck::open_mouth:

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Well well well well done! Amazing…you have more patience than I do clearly…:wink:

Nick

1 Like

Outstanding!!

1 Like

Well, I would say design took exponentially longer than construction (although we put in a 10 hour day to get everything assembled). Plus I was learning Inkscape along the way. And of course, it didn’t help that I was so excited about the whole thing I baked the gingerbread way too early (so I could then laser cut it), that it was kind of warped by the time we got to the actual building. :slight_smile:

I did amuse myself in the interim adapting the mini-glowforge model for gingerbread and doing the acrylic engraved border (I had not ever covered the side edges of the board until this year, but I have a laser now, so why not?)

Thank you!

1 Like

So @lise, why did you come back now on the forum to post? Discourse said you haven’t participated in a while. You haven’t been present much. How are you doing with your Glowforge? Did you ever get Inkscape mastered?

Sorry, @ElsieH for interrupting the topic, but this I am just following my intuition. I think @lise has some cool things she should share here.

1 Like

Marmak, I am a very lightweight user, and I make just for my own benefit, and for creative parties I have with family and friends. I’m still learning the vector based software - I’ve been raster for a couple decades now and I am not good at dedicating myself to learning (so many other distractions).

But to your question, I came to the forum the other day because I had a new issue pop up on my glowforge. I look at the glowforge facebook group, but am not a regular on the main forum. While roaming around I saw some of the things folks were up to (which I do love to see). As expected, the forums had the answer to my issue, and I was able to finish my tasks.

6 Likes

so cool! love the tree!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m very proud of the tree, I somehow converted an stl file I found on Thingiverse to a vector in order to cut it out. And added slots so it would fit together, and then fill branches. I only wish I could have found a way to hang edible ornaments on it, but it’s way fragile :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is truly Awesome! I have been thinking about a Gingerbread house this year. This is just the kind of inspiration I need. We’ll have to see if I can find a time slot to fit it in. I need to find a good recipe for “Construction Grade Gingerbread”.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing, even if I don’t make one, seeing your has certainly made the holidays better.

2 Likes

I can send you a recipe if you’d like, just let me know!

2 Likes

YES PLEASE!!! Having a good foundation would certainly make it easier to get started.

1 Like

This is the one I used this year for the first time. I like it because it is simple (and I have heard that some folks substitute Karo light or dark corn syrup for the honey) Also, spices are optional. I only add them if I have them (and if I need the dough to be darker, although there are other ways to to do that as well).

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions, I love talking all things gingerbread!

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

amazing. love the ingenuity.

1 Like