Glowforge is not working, stuck in scanning

About 3 to 4 weeks ago before I went TDY to the mainland I was working on some projects and notice that my glowforge would have to be turned off and back on in order to work on new projects. Right before I left the island for the mainland I had a project I lost money on because my glowforge would not operate. I came back home and was able to complete a project and immediately it would not update the tray with a new piece. I have cleaned the glowforge to include cameras, I have reset wifi and computer multiple times, turning off the glowforge. Now I turn it on, it sounds like the fan kicks in for a second and then nothing, the laser doesnt move or measure or do anything. I have tried to leave the lid open to allow for any possible updates. The computer just says scanning and the arm with laser remains in place. Any ideas…

1 Like

While you are waiting for Support to get back to you, here’s a list of things to try:

• New thing to try - remove all materials and restart GF: Glow forge stuck on scanning
  • Glowforge is Offline / Calibrating (support page)
  • Lens inserted correctly?
  • Turn the GF off, open the lid, turn it back on, and let it sit for a few minutes before closing the lid – if there’s a software update trying to download this will let it finish without interfering with the machine’s attempts to calibrate
  • Recent exchange? Make sure correct GF is selected in the GFUI
  • Look for any changes in the GF environment that might affect the wifi signal – one person had mounted a metal plate beside theirs, to attach their magnets to, and that was apparently enough to disrupt the wifi signal and throw the machine into eternal calibration…another piece of hardware could theoretically do the same (fan, printer, etc.).
  • Try changing the GF’s wifi channel – too many devices maybe trying to use the same one.
  • Sometimes cleaning the lenses seems to help – and also the Glowforge logo on the top of the print head, since the camera uses that for location purposes.
  • Sometimes the ambient lighting can affect the camera’s ability to focus – could be too bright, or not bright enough.
  • Check lid light cable clips Stuck on scanning during start up
  • Don’t cover up the logo on the top of the print head :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
4 Likes

Oh, god have I been there done that. I was so infuriated…

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you hit a snag.

The issues you’re seeing might be caused by a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, ensure the cable is inserted straight into the clip and close the clip.

2. If any of the cables are misaligned in the clip, take a photo of the clip and cable and send it to me so I can take a look before you proceed. Do not try to adjust or reseat the cable.

3. Close the lid.

4. Turn your unit back on and wait for it to calibrate.

Let me know how it goes!

I looked at all of them and there were none opened turned back on the machine and nothing happened. No movement.

Thank you for checking your lid connections. Since everything is connected properly, it’s likely that the black cable on the lid has a problem and will need to be replaced. I’m going to close this topic and I’ll be in touch via email soon to discuss the details.