Glowforge Pro any videos in use?

I currently have the Plus but i am looking to add the Pro to my family. My questions are How big of a project can it cut with having the pass through slot and does anyone have a video of it using the pass through slot? Also Does it need to be vented out the window? Thank you to any one taking the time to respond :slight_smile:

You can get an idea here:
https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=passthrough%20project%20order%3Alatest

If there are any, they’ll be in that search.

It’s like any of the GF’s, it makes smoke and stuff, so yes. Vent (window or through wall or whatever) or filter.

4 Likes

It can cut about 18" wide by infinite length, in ten inch segments. Only 18 inches wide because you will currently need an indexing mark of some kind for alignment of subsequent cuts. Ultimately we are supposed to get alignment software that does the aligning for us, but that isn’t available yet. (Still in development.)

There are other considerations like having support on both sides of the machine for larger runs, and creating the correct kind of file for using it …those are described in a couple of tutorials. (No video that I know of yet.)

I’d read through both of these to make sure you understand what’s going on, whether it’s your design software or not. Once you understand what’s happening with the Passthrough, you can adapt any design software to use it.

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: What I am wanting to cut is just large names for above the crib so your saying it can be 18 inches tall and how ever long I want to make it ?so say 18 x 48 would work? Would it still need these indexing marks? I was hoping it would be easy like my plus is and just press go. If the additional compact filter is purchased would I still need to vent out my window? Sorry so many questions :wink:

Yes, 18 x 48 is doable, but it takes five separate files with indexing marks. The limit is ten inches when you are feeding in a long sheet through the Passthrough (remember, we only have 11 inches to work with in that direction) so just divide however long an item you want to create by ten and then round up. Five files would be needed for 48" wide. And you have to be able to support the material in front of and behind the machine or it will bow out. So you’d need cheap wood supports front and back (which is what I use), with the Glowforge in the middle, or you can get really fancy and build a supporting table for it if you plan to make a business out of it.

(Yes, you can use the compact filter, or vent out the window.)

3 Likes

One additional note - the passthrough slot ony accommodates materials about 1/4" thick.

3 Likes

The Pro behaves just like the Plus for venting. Keep in mind that buying filters over time can be pricey as they can fill up fast. You should search through the forum for info on the compact filter.

1 Like

Well that stinks , It sounds like I would need to be more computer savvy than I am :frowning: I would not know how to convert one simple svg cut file of the name into 5 separate files :frowning:

Read that second tutorial. It describes how to do it step by step.

There are helpful people and tutorials for splitting files.

It depends on whether or not the letters will be separate or tied together. If you’ll be cutting out each letter individually, then as long as no letter exceeds about 10.5" by 19" you will not need to create indexing marks and have an indexer along the side. If they will be tied together than you will need indexing marks and your max width drops to around 18". I have a pro and the longest thing I have cut was over three feet, but less than four. I could have kept going, but I had no need.

One warning, even with indexing where the cuts line up, even if you do a really good job, you will be able to tell that’s where they lined up. Will other people? Maybe, but probably not. The larger something is, the more natural tolerance there is in its making. But as the maker you’ll notice.

2 Likes

I would have wanted it to be a pretty script font so the name would all be one piece :slight_smile: I am glad I asked these questions, Thank you everyone

1 Like

It’s a bit tedious, but once you get the hang of it that is all it is. And like with any other file, if you make a mistake, then oops, there goes some more material.

1 Like

You can definitely use the passthrough to make bigger things, but it isn’t as easy as printing a ruler. You will have to learn some stuff, and it takes some hands-on fiddling to get the results you want. We are still awaiting the promised automagical alignment feature.

Maybe I will just wait to get another until its made easier as I am the least computer savvy person in my family or the world probably lol

No, I’m afraid that honor falls to my mom. :smile:
(I believe you could do it easily. There will be a few misfires at first because there always are, but once you understand it, it’s not hard at all.)

2 Likes

If you’re painting it, who cares? You can make puzzle pieces that join sections very precisely, and even do multiple layers that are pinned together do lap the joints across each other so it’ll end up being strong and appear as one piece. Assemble, then a little filler in the seams and paint, no one will ever know it’s more than once piece.

People have been using techniques like these to create very large signs.

1 Like

Sorry But I would want to be adding these to my shop and none of my customers would want to assemble a name and some like the natural wood look so painting would not cover up all the glitches :frowning:

Yup, hence:

I know, it’s a big if.

There are other options. There are cursive scripts with swashes and ligatures that don’t join into one piece. It would be simple to make a large name sign in multiple parts that look highly intentional while also keeping your max size within the plus bed. Beyond that, shipping a multipart sign would be less expensive and risky than one monolithic part.

Sometimes the Glowforge isn’t the best tool for the job if you have a specific end goal. If I were making large cursive signs for people as an ongoing business concern, I’d be looking at a large CNC to cut them, not a laser. You’d be able to work in much thicker and more durable materials and size concerns go out the window.

YMMV, good luck.

Also:

I was assuming you’d be assembling and finishing the end result, but that time cuts into your margins, so I can see why you’d want to avoid it.

3 Likes

It would not be a simple thing and 48 inches would be a much bigger reach than say 46 inches. you can get a 48 x 96 inch plywood cut into 5 - 19 inch pieces = 95 inches and a quarter inch for saw kerf, but you will not want to try to go all the way to the edge.
If you make your file 10" high with all the slices different colors aligned on top of each other and four holes the width of a bed pin 18 x 10 inches a part you can use the pins as registry marks cutting new lower holes with each pass and you only ,have to make sure they are in the correct order. It would not be a simple thing to setup but could be a reasonably repeatable prospect,

For my setup the box that the crumb tray came in is exactly the correct height, but that was definitely serendipity.

1 Like