Glowforge sucks

True! I don’t have one of those in my shop.

Yet…

2 Likes

Works best with a real Glowing Forge :grin:

You said “and I’m excited to try cutting 3/8” or even 1/2" with multiple passes, manually setting the focus deeper each pass".

How do you manually set the focus to go deeper with each pass? My software seems to only offer auto focus. I would appreciate any guidance.

You set this in the cut settings (side panel, where you adjust speed, power, etc.). You can manually tell it what height to focus that specific step on. So you could do a first pass with the auto height, then do another pass where it is focused at say .125" instead of auto.

1 Like

I am pretty sure I tried that and it still focuses after I click “PRINT”, but I will try again to just confirm

It will still do the autofocus in case any of the steps have the default ‘auto’ for the focus height (and it also uses this for a more accurate camera picture of the workspace. If the layer setting (in the side panel) is set to Auto for focus height, it will use the autofocus measurement. But, if you have manually typed in the focus height for that layer/step, it will use that to focus the beam for that layer/step only.

1 Like

Have to admit he has a point here. Every time I try to shop Proofgrade for a project, so much is out of stock that I just end up ordering what I need on Etsy.

2 Likes

I agree that the PG stuff is often out of stock. But…I almost never use PG stuff-it’s certainly nice, but between the price and the stock issues, plus how many other options there are for good products, I just don’t ever really use it. And I would never rely on it for business purposes; I realize this conflicts with their general marketing, and it’s certainly a place Glowforge could improve, but it’s also not like proofgrade is the only option for materials.

2 Likes

Ivan said materials.
We have all seen how ply (which is wood) will have voids in the interior ply filled with all sorts of things including Bondo which won’t cut, particularly with a 40w laser.
Ivan was just trying to help you, along with everyone else here.

Different solid woods are going to respond differently, Pine is going to behave differently than Walnut. There are workarounds for difficult situations. Between manipulating speed, power, and multiple passes, there are several avenues of attack. A lower power to reduce charring and making additional passes while lowering the focus between passes might be worth a shot. You could register the piece so you could flip it vertically and finish the cut fron the other side - or use a saw in the case of a hardwood like thick walnut. Consider the possibility that a 40w laser is ill-suited for the task you are asking of it. “The proper tool for the job.”

I have found mine to be quite capable. Across 2- 1/2 years It has paid for itself, and I don’t have any retail exposure.

We have all been frustrated with our results and failures at some time in this learning journey. After 50+ replies in this thread I get the feeling you are not going to be happy, I suggest you lose the angst and frustration in your life, carrying that around isn’t good for your phyche. Sell it and move on. :smiley:

12 Likes

Sometimes cutting your losses and walking away is the best path. :relieved:

7 Likes

Quite right.
My apologies to everyone, especially @wwill74. I hope you have a better experience going forward.

3 Likes

Ivan,
I also am taking the opportunity to ask when the filter inside the machine will be ready or does Glowforge never anticipate that happening.
I actually haven’t taken my unit from the initial funding campaign, because I was waiting for this to happen.
I would appreciate a reply to angels212@aol.com.
Thank you.
I’ve asked often.

There’s never been a plan for a filter inside the machine. If you mean the one that was going to sit underneath the machine, they said a long time ago that one couldn’t happen; that’s why they’re selling the one they have now.

2 Likes

Thanks,
My understanding when I’ve heard from them on other occasions was that they were going to keep tweaking that.

Are you using the stand alone filter?
Do you like it and feel it doesn’t take up too much space?

Take care,

Carole

This thread below may be of interest to you, not sure if you had pre-ordered the air filter, or just the glowforge, but I believe the filter has been available for over a year now? I don’t have the filter, so hopefully my info is correct and I’m not confusing the issue…

From what I know, venting outside is the preferred method, but the air filter is relatively ‘compact’ and is the only real option if you are not able to vent outside. It’s not cheap though, and the filter cartridges need to be replaced fairly often depending on your use (they are not cheap either).

The actual air filter is also listed on the products page (near the bottom):

I don’t believe I have seen any announcements about continuing refinement or future air filter plans, but then again, I vent outside so I don’t necessarily pay close attention to those issues.

2 Likes

No, they announced that they had reached the conclusion it couldn’t be done in that shape/size. There’s no ongoing tweaking happening.

I don’t use a filter; I’d have to get another job to pay for all the cartridges I’d go through. I drilled a hole in the wall instead. :wink:

6 Likes

I wrap my non GF material with blue painters tape ( extra wide) to help with the burn issue.

I cut these chicken perch holders through 1/2 inch wood, without much burning.

1 Like

Wow! Those must be GMO though? :chicken: :fish:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.