Glowforged Halloween Masks

You may be confusing OSB (oriented strand board) which is a product like plywood but made of pieces of wood product held together with lots of resin glues. Typically used in construction for subfloors and building sheathing. Sometimes called chipboard.

The chipboard here is a cardboard product that is used for the backing of pads of paper or as the cardboard stiffener in hardbound books.

It’s almost like pressed paperboard and pretty much glueless so is pretty easy to laser. It’s offered in a variety of thicknesses and colors (although a grayish-brown is predominant).

10 Likes

like this

5 Likes

I have stacks of it from my cat food cartons. Not the thickest but very sturdy for testing designs.

4 Likes

Ha! Love all the masks!! Fantastic!

1 Like

Thanks @jamesdhatch

After a bit more dusting out of the the brain cobwebs I think the material that I was thinking of was called Hardboard and is a lot like MDF (if not the same). I thought it would be perfect to have lasered, but the lab that I took it to would not even attempt it.

I assume it’s going to be too gluey for the Glowforge too, right?

A couple of those remind me of the N64 Game Star Fox

GASP!!! I am going to be retro video game characters for halloween from now on

4 Likes

MDF is laserable although it can be messy.

Hardboard is like trying to cut iron. Never gotten hardboard to cut on my lasers (40 & 60W).

5 Likes

When I hear “chipboard” I think Blandex or OSB(oriented strand board). I’ve no idea how it would cut with a laser but can’t really think of a reason I’d want to either.

Not to be confused with particle board, usually what is in between melamine sheets.

14 Likes

I had never heard it hahaha this is a great song!!

1 Like

Cool. Thanks @jamesdhatch!

So on-point. I’ve been a fan of Rob Paravonian ever since I heard his Pachelbel Rant.

8 Likes

What a hoot! (he’s right!):smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know, maybe I’ve been lucky, but we’ve got a ton (probably literally) of IKEA furniture in our house, and the vast majority of it has been around for a decade or more, and survived an international move. I’m sure some of it might be closer to 20 years old and survived two international moves!

8 Likes

No, I was talking about the Pachelbel Canon Rant…it’s the basis for an awful lot of modern music. (Who knew?) :smile:

8 Likes

Me too, but now I have the @#$! thing in my head again… :cry:

6 Likes

Here is why the song gets stuck and how to get rid of it
http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/songs-stuck-in-head.htm

5. Share the song with a friend (but don’t be surprised if the person become an ex-friend when he or she walks away humming the tune).

hahaha and remember this kind of songs are like a virus, first you get infected and then you infect everybody else who listen to you hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NykOJ0Wkp-o

7 Likes

Where does one source this material without buying lots of legal pads?

4 Likes

Art supply stores, Dick Blick, EBay, Amazon…the only place you don’t want to go is to your local Hobby Stores cause they charge a freaking fortune for it.

Try searching “chipboard sheets” on Ebay. 50 for $15. Comes in white coated (my fav for boxes) and natural cardboard color.

8 Likes