Glowing Overwatch Sign

My sister shared with me that my niece (who plays the video game Overwatch) had sent a tongue-in-cheek letter to Santa asking for “capable teammates.” My brother-in-law laughed and told her that she might as well be asking for a pony!

So… I quizzed my own kids to find out that her favorite character in the game is Mercy (a winged healer), then scrounged around for some public domain Mercy art.

After much experimenting:

(apologies for the reflection)

This was a fun project because I got to play withe some new-to-me materials like poster board, light-diffusing plastic, and Proofgrade acrylic.

I also wanted to use an existing 11x17 sheet of glass as the front pane, so I had to figure out how to make an 11x17 frame on a Glowforge with a maximum vertical cut area of just less than 11 inches. (I ended up engraving the channels for the glass, which allowed me to split the frame into four parts that could each be printed horizontally.)

Why did I need a custom frame? Because I needed room for the hidden LED lighting:
IMG_2318

(Shhhh… don’t tell her; this will be a holiday surprise.) :grinning:

55 Likes

Fine piece of work man! :sunglasses: what a great gift!

3 Likes

You are an outstanding uncle!!! This is an amazing project.

2 Likes

Awesome!

You either have some totally killer stuff in the works for your own kids, or you delight in making them jealous of their cousin. :smiley:

1 Like

I have a few ideas… (although one of my kids did make a point of telling me what his favorite Overwatch character is…) :slight_smile:

Update – the follow-up projects for my own kids are now posted as well:

3 Likes

Fantastic idea! (And it’s all been said…lucky kids!) :grinning:

Link to the light-diffusing plastic?

http://www.inventables.com/categories/materials/plastic/light-diffusers

4 Likes

Wow! That is just beautiful!

If that doesn’t draw in some capable teammates, then I don’t know what will!

1 Like