Glowparents: Glowbabies!

Starting Quality Assurance skills early!!

4 Likes

Finally received my Pro. But it is sitting at home unused because of the arrival of grandchild #2. Visiting my daughter for a week right after the birth.

I was tempted to pull another prank like my last one, but this time saying that I had received a beta version of a second generation Pro! Had the whole story planned out:

The v2 Pro has three independent axes of head rotation! < neck > And two independent vision modules in the head! < eyeballs > Plus three new sensory modules in the head! < nose, mouth, ears > It has an exhaust cover that makes it easy to clean any effluent that gets stuck on the exhaust port! < diaper >

But I don’t think the forum is ready for more of my shenanigans. :laughing:

23 Likes

Fantastic! And congratulations again! :smile::+1::balloon::tada::boom::dizzy::two_hearts::baby:

2 Likes

Congratulations!

Don’t forget, it’s more portable than the current version. They are going to be increasing the size, shortly, though.

6 Likes

:heart_eyes: congratulations!!

1 Like

I like that custom cover for your Pro. Congratulations!

3 Likes

As expensive as my v1 is turning out to be, that v2 looks even more costly.

4 Likes

Ok parents of actual baby Glowbabies… do you run your laser while the little one is in the same room? My apartment has one huge room downstairs where I hope to set up the laser, the only other rooms are bedrooms upstairs (with skylight windows, on very low ceilings, so no room for the GF at all). I want to be able to use the GF as much as possible but I’m a concerned about little developing lungs. Any thoughts? My glowbaby is almost 8 months now and in to everything! :blush:

(thought we had a little bit more time before figuring out baby gates :expressionless: )

15 Likes

What a cutie! :grin:

1 Like

Very mobile for <8mos! My 9 mo is still GI-Joe-style belly dragging.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s not walking or even cruising yet, though he discovered the stairs and how easy they were to pull up on about a couple of weeks ago. I figured when he rolled over at just under 3 months, and then was achieving forward motion by four months (albeit by sliding on his face like an inch worm) that I was doomed…

4 Likes

I have pretty aggressive ventilation (a 400 cfm fan AND a 600 cfm fan farther down the line) to get fumes out of our basement ducting, but I still only 'Forge with baby in the room for short, light engraves on wood, plus paper cutting. No acrylic, plastics, stone, rubber, etc. My standard is that I should be able to only minimally smell the wood fiber burning. If the baby coughs at all, we’re out.

6 Likes

I may carry one of my little ones with me up into the loft while I am quickly checking on a cut, but I am in and out in 15 seconds or so. Even with ventilation, the fine dusty air around the GF is not something to expose to young lungs for extended periods of time

1 Like

I’m intrigued by that comment. I have not noticed that in any kind of airborne situation. The machine gets dusty & dirty inside but never noticed it on the outside. I can’t write “wash me” in the dust for example. When I pulled the PRU out after 8 months of use even the tabletop and behind the bench didn’t have a dust layer.

4 Likes

Last fall mine developed a very thin layer of dust on it. It may be a coincidence but it happened at the same time as the hardwood floors in the front rooms were being refinished.

3 Likes

Such a beautiful child!

1 Like

I can sometimes smell it when I walk up into the loft. And a week or so ago, when I was cleaning around the GF, I discovered a substantial quantity of very fine saw dust under the area rug to the right of the table where the GF sits.

The glowforge doesn’t make sawdust, but some of the smoke particulates can be relatively large. If it really is sawdust you may have other, non-glowforge issues. I would expect any leaks from the unit, as opposed to the venting, to spray out smoke in a plume so that any settling out of the air would be well dispersed. Also, settling under the carpet is a bit of a trick.

Does the exhaust hose run over this spot? If not, have you considered a pest: insect, rodent or a human with a dustpan aversion?

1 Like

The GF vents out a window directly behind the GF. The carpet sits on a relatively new wood floor. There are no critters that would have caused it, and no human living in our house would do that. However, it was the first time I had looked under that carpet in a couple of years so maybe some guests staying up in the loft for a week or so did it a year ago. I will keep watching to see if it comes back.

1 Like

A week ago today, my 9 month old son underwent a 9 hour neurosurgery to remove fatty tissue that was wrapped around the base of his spine. It was discovered by chance on the day he was born, but we had to wait until he was 9 months old so the surgeon would have better shot at removing it without damaging the nerves on the spinal cord. The surgery was a success, as has been the healing process. It was originally expected that he would be hospitalized until today, but he was discharged last Thursday morning. and is back being his active self. His twin sister is happy to have him back home.

18 Likes