Glowparents: Glowbabies!

What’s interesting is we’ve managed to drive down out-of-ICU code-blues to the point where we had to implement regular simulation center practice, as they are so infrequent. Our trigger program has an extremely high probability of predicting a “next-shift” code up to 8 hours in advance (and I wrote an interesting program with a colleague that could detect a trigger about an hour before the patient met trigger criteria simply looking at staff EHR activity) which has now caused our residents to rarely actually see a code…

8 Likes

In fairness ventilators in 2000 were much, much cruder than today. I can’t remember the last time we saw a ventilator failure of any kind. I did some cellular RFI testing on our ventilators at NYUMC/Bellevue when I was there around then, and we couldn’t induce any failures with the phone sitting on top of the ventilator or with the antenna touching any wire, even using a bag-phone (remember those, they were much more powerful) rather than a hand-held cell.

2 Likes

I got the impression it was more of a pause than a full stop.

What isn’t fully comprehended by the general public is how many failure points, big and small, there are in health care. A few are bound to go wrong here and there. What is amazing is how the workers deal with it so successfully. They don’t freak out, they deal with it and move on with their work.

3 Likes

Sniffing out codes is an impressive feat. We do have sniffers for sepsis but not code 45s. The hospital has 1,313 beds on the St Marys campus alone so that may be account for the difference (I don’t know how big you facility is). We have cut way back on our codes since development of Our Rapid Response Team. It consists of a Critical Care Doc, Med. ICU nurse and an RT. They can be called by anyone at anytime there is concern.

1 Like

When I started in the cardiac icu in 2003 we were still using the Servo 900c.
No cell phone was shutting that down!
To be honest I’m not aware of it ever happening on any vent.

1 Like

It looks like you could also hook it up to a set of speakers and compress their chest with the sound waves.

3 Likes

I see you’re from Rochester, and if you’re detecting sepsis from data that probably means the Mayo. IIRC that is where the study was performed. They found nothing to worry about. I probably shouldn’t have used freaked in the OP.

3 Likes

Seems I should post something on here. My wife and I our expecting our first child this May. Due date is the 9th. We don’t know what we are having. It will be a surprise.

23 Likes

Congratulations! :smiley::gift_heart::unicorn::hatching_chick:

1 Like

Thanks

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Glad to know people are spending the waiting time being productive. :grinning:

9 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Prayers and best wishes. The coolest makers on the forum!

2 Likes

Congrats! My wife and I never found out ahead of time with either of ours. We liked it that way but it drive my father-in-law absulutely nuts :smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Yes, the rest of the family is going nuts over this.

3 Likes

We figured it was a good idea to know, from a baby shower point of view, and nursery prep.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I have to do this. SPOILER ALERT: It’s a baby. The puppy thing is a myth.

8 Likes

If you don’t account for that, it will eventually mess with your data analysis :slight_smile:
(I once got to do a piece on “leading economic indicators” where the stats folks pointed out that many of the indicators that used to predict recessions had stopped being accurate because they had turned into indicators that predicted some kind of action to prevent a recession…)

2 Likes