#Glowvember - a design-make-share challenge

I think I’ve seen stuff like this in the Burning Man community. It’s made from CNC routed 3/4" plywood usually. Sometimes called “playatech”.

Is this style what you mean or is there some other glamping furniture you’re referring to? (I’m always on the lookout for more glamping possibilities! :grin:)

2 Likes

Nov 14. Pet Feeding Sign
This one is really basic and straight forward, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t make everything configurable! :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve used the tusk tenon on other projects. I really like using it because you can be a little sloppy and still get tight joints (as long as your tusks are sized properly), plus the benefit of easily tearing it down.

1 Like

I’m sure Burning Man uses the tusk tenon for the same reasons, but I’m used to it in the SCA.org. Generally there it’s made out of solid wood since it’s expected to last for years!

(these are not mine, just images I found on the web)

7 Likes

I love these examples, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Nov 15. Remote Holster
Again, this one is pretty simple and straight forward, but completely configurable. You should be able to make a belt-hanging holster for a remote of any size (within reason :wink: ).

This project is in two parts to make it easier to make the front and backing out of different materials, if desired.

Front:

Backing:

6 Likes

Nov 16. QR Code Decoration
I didn’t have a lot of time today to work on this. I wanted to have a QR code generator embedded in the project, but didn’t get to that. Enough of my problems. :wink:

This QR code in the middle of the present takes you to the donation page for Toys For Tots. Feel free to print or cut and share as many of these as you like, placing them in high traffic areas, bulletin boards, bus stops, the hostess stand at your favorite restaurant, etc.

5 Likes

Nov 17. Elastic Band Toy
I put some time into this one. It took some effort just figuring out the voids that needed to go into each layer so the parts would move correctly.

The details are in the Read Me in the project.
Here’s an image of the inner workings:

That middle gear needs to be a bit bigger to take up the slack caused by kerf.

9 Likes

Nicely done. I especially appreciate the registration marks on the gears.

1 Like

Nov 18. Drawstring Purse
You can configure pretty much everything in this project. You just need to provide your own drawstring. If you are cutting leather, there are stitch holes that can be cut out to make stitching easier. Or turn them off if you’re working in cloth.

I turned mine into a dice bag by adding an engrave to the front. It’s easiest to do that as part of the initial cut process. That way you can get it nice and centered.

The back:

7 Likes

Nov 19. Leather Letter Keyring
Pick a letter, pick a font, then scale to fit.

7 Likes

Nov 20. Teacher Gift - Apple
This is an acrylic apple. Instructions are in the project. Sorry for no picture, but the tolerances on the Proofgrade acrylic are NOT good. I should have taken the calipers to the sheet. The joints so loose, I can’t get the glue to hold and I’m not wasting another sheet of over-priced acrylic.

3 Likes

Tell me about. I wanted to submit finger joint acrylic project. But I could not get consistent thicknesses.

2 Likes

Across all providers acrylic tolerances are notably wide. 0.085-0.155 for .125 acrylic. I was shocked as I always considered acrylic to be reliably sized, but working with a machine with tolerances of .007 opened my eyes to that!

3 Likes

Nov 21. Ring/Necklace Holder

Don’t dwell on the picture. It has issues. :wink: However, the project has been fixed. Cutting the right number of each part is key and the instructions for that are in the project. I cut it in cardboard because the wife already has somewhere for her necklaces and rings.

21. Ring/Necklace Holder

I would need to lower the number of ring slots if I want my class ring to fit, but that one is not a normal sized ring. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I love your solution for the parameters!

‘N’ for Necklace or ‘R’ for Ring – [‘N’,‘R’,‘N’,‘N’,‘N’,‘R’,‘N’]

2 Likes

I love your solution for the parameters!

‘N’ for Necklace or ‘R’ for Ring – [‘N’,‘R’,‘N’,‘N’,‘N’,‘R’,‘N’]

Thank you!

I’ve used this method on another project. However, if you look at the code for the count of each type, I’ve never used the array.reduce with a lambda function before. That was cool. I wasn’t sure it would do what I wanted. Definitely filing that away for future use!

1 Like

Nov 22. Perpetual Calendar

Very simple design. Three parts, you provide the metal pins to hold it together.

22. Perpetual Calendar
The image shows wooden pins. They are in the project, but do not work well, so I don’t recommend cutting those.

1 Like

Nov 23. Mug Tree

I took this one very literally. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This one is so cute!

1 Like