Gold mirrored acrylic from Inventables

Has anyone had success cutting the gold mirrored acrylic from Inventables? After much testing I’ve found that cutting works best using black acrylic proof grade as the material setting, and cutting from the back.

HOWEVER, it seems to overheat the foil that is used for the mirror, creating vapor channels that ruin the project. Any ideas?

2 Likes

I’d probably try multiple passes at reduced power.

2 Likes

Hi there, I’ve cut the mirrored acrylic (Not from inventables) selecting (Clear Acrylic) Proofgrade settings and cutting the design from the back. Didn’t have any problem with it! (Pro Machine)

27 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. That’s some awesome work!

I’ve also cut their mirrored, from the back, but I removed the plastic & replaced it with the 6” low tack masking tape. Pretty sure I also used black PF setting. Now I buy my mirrored locally, don’t re-mask, cut from the top and use orange PG setting for gold & yellow PG setting for silver,

2 Likes

I’ve been successful with their 1/8" think Gold Mirrored Arcylic. Good thru cute, with Settings:
Power: Full-power ( Standard Glowforge )
Speed: 175.

Was able to cut out detailed 1.5" names cards for a wedding, used a nice curvy font.

6 Likes

I cut a lot of the mirrored gold and silver acrylic. I don’t mask the back, I cut from the back and use med clear acrylic setting. Works great most of the time. I am having issues with my machine lately but it’s not because of the acrylic.

Have you ever tried the acrylic from Canal Plastics Center? Their sheets come in 12x18" and works out to be a little less per square inch than inventibles.

1 Like

I cut a lot of the mirrored gold and silver acrylic. I don’t mask the back, I cut from the back and use med clear acrylic setting. Works great most of the time. I am having issues with my machine lately but it’s not because of the acrylic.

Have you ever tried the acrylic from Canal Plastics Center? Their sheets come in 12x18" and works out to be a little less per square inch than inventibles.

Hi, I’m based in UK, so I only order my material online in different places!
Thanks!

Do you by chance have a picture of what these look like? I would like to see it.

I wonder if those settings need to be changed if I have a Pro model?

Pro model settings:

All setting of power 0-100 are the same for pro and basic. “Full” power is the only setting that is different.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Difference%20pro%20basic%20settings

2 Likes

That is very impressive!

I have to ask: Would you be willing to share that project file?

Friendly reminder, we’re not supposed to ask others for their files; if they want to share, they will post them in the Free Files area. :slight_smile:

From the FAQ:

If someone shares a print that they’ve made, please respect their sharing and do not ask for the source design or artwork. Designs take work and have value, and when you ask someone to give you that value for free, you undermine their work.

3 Likes

I constantly cut gold mirrored acrylic and I use the Clear Acrylic settings. the GF cut the acrylic perfectly with this settings. I cut it from the back (don’t remove the plastic from the shiny part).

1 Like

I know this is pretty late. But I also buy from Canal plastics. My gold mirror keeps burning. Ruining all my work. Any suggestions

I find that a speed of 140 and 85 power generally works well for me.
I take the plastic masking off as it can melt and leave behind little balls of goo on the acrylic. You can put paper masking on both sides if you want to be really careful, but I usually just do the back (non-mirrored) side. And mirrored acrylic is extruded and not cast so it’s really going to stink when you cut it. Good luck!

4 Likes

What vendor do you use for your Mirror Acrylic. I tried JP Plastics and it worked great but it is $10 more per sheet than Inventables…a little nervous to try cheaper priced product. Any insight? Will be cutting large single letters. Pretty new to GF! Thanks!
Genevieve

Hi, i’ve used Amazon last time I bought it as I had free delivery on it! But I live in London, UK!
Not sure where people buy stuff in US! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I wish I could help you on that! :pensive:

Thanks!

Oh! Ok thank you! I’ll check out Amazon!

Both Johnson plastics and Inventables are reputable suppliers. Assuming your supplier is actually selling you acrylic, the main difference between acrylics is cast vs. extruded. You want cast. That is another thing to watch for, people selling extruded as cast (they may not know.) Johnson plastics and Inventables know the difference and should mark them correctly. For ebay or 3rd party Amazon sellers, I’d read the comments and see if other laser users have posted anything.

3 Likes