Grants from Glowforge to fund your creativity at Maker Faire

I agree. I’ve got Illustrator and Inkscape and lasers - be glad to help. :slight_smile:

Surprised they couldn’t work it out - the first time is tedious because of the various types of SVG formats and all, but a day’s work is usually all it takes to iron out the primary wrinkles (you’ll always get odd things like we’re seeing with the dog skeleton example, but those are edge cases). I would have expected a couple of solid days (nights) of production would have been possible. @smcgathyfay has a lot of experience with ULS lasers but plenty of us multi-design package folks around.

I’m going to be a booth babe at NYC but will be doing my own exhibit at the Hartford MakerFaire in Oct - figured my ADD approach to projects is really not a handicap - it’s “eclectic” :smile:

Happy to help anyone who is brave enough to try to do this themselves.

5 Likes

I applied :smiley: if I get accepted, great… and if they don’t accept me, great. I still get a Glowforge™

10 Likes

Great! I wish you luck! :grinning:

4 Likes

Hey I thought the deadline was tonight and it is actually the 23rd. I am going to see if I can try again at the college!

8 Likes

My offer still stands!

4 Likes

I feel like while this is a wonderful idea, the deadline was a bit steep for anyone who hadn’t already planned to attend. I hope this grant program ends up being very successful, and that Glowforge decides to extend customers the same opportunity next year. (When they have more than a 6 day window to apply to the makerfaire)

Not my intent to be negative, just to share my perspective

6 Likes

This probably wasnt meant to be a hey look…sign up and you can get a grant maybe.
It was more for people who already planned on going and this was an added bonus. There are lots of folks that travel and do shows. I used to but had to stop with the birth of my autistic son…now that he’s older, we have talked about starting doing the circuits again…having a laser available would be amazing as now we just can take orders and send out after the event.

4 Likes

Your perspective is valid, and it doesn’t sound negative to me - just realistic.

I’ll hope along with you that the program and grantees are successful at this event, so that they grow and continue.

3 Likes

Exactly, I’d love to see this grow into a full blown ambassador program. There are lots of Maker Faires that are good sized but not big enough for :glowforge: themselves to go to.

5 Likes

Thanks to Cynd11 and my local Community college I have applied to the Maker Faire!! Fingers crossed. Here is the video I used for the application. Thanks again Cynd11 you are
the best!

22 Likes

Best of luck to you!

3 Likes

Cool! (I want to play with the iris openings one of these days!) Good luck getting accepted! :grinning:

5 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m glad it came together so nicely. It looks like you made a lot of cool additional things on the Universal laser.

5 Likes

Did you wind up cutting some of them on a Glowie @cynd11 ?

4 Likes

Just a few things!

4 Likes

LOVE this! :smile:

2 Likes

Moving out of announcements so discussion can continue.

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone else was not perfectly clear (just like I wasn’t) on the order in which you should apply for the Glowforge grants. I reached out to @bailey a few days ago and she clarified that you should not apply for the Glowforge grant until AFTER you get notification that you have been accepted by Maker Faire to be an exhibitor. The original post could have been read either way.

4 Likes

Great point - I wish we’d gotten it out sooner, too! There were two deadlines, though - the last one was on the 16th, so that was a little more time.

1 Like

Got accepted into WMF!!! Time to panic!!!

23 Likes