Grazing board (from Costco)

This came out absolutely amazing in person. The photos don’t do it justice.

It was supported by a piece of scrap wood under a case of seltzer on an opposing shelf. :slight_smile:

50 Likes

That is really beautiful!
The basic board came from Costco? what specie of wood?

11 Likes

This is beautiful!

10 Likes

They’re Acacia… I’ve seen them at the store and they look really nice, just WAY too big for my Basic. (Almost an inch thick, too…) Never thought about the ol’ door trick… Hmmmm…

13 Likes

That turned out beautiful! I love the look of acacia. That’s the only type of cutting boards I buy anymore. And it always engraves nicely. Are you giving that to the coffee shop you designed the signs for?

9 Likes

Beautiful!

8 Likes

It looks amazing in the photos, hard to imagine it looking better in person. However, that is so often the case. Really nice!!

10 Likes

I found them for sale finally. I was wondering if they were a Hawaiian Wood they looked so nice.

7 Likes

Mahalo @rbtdanforth @cindyhodesigns @linefeed @ellencadwell @marthajackson1970 @ptodd !!!

It really is a beautiful wood. I needed to put a flashlight over the laser glass before scanning, to get some extra light so I could discern the hole without adding tape. :slight_smile:

I like acacia, the grain is beautiful.

I gave it to my friend who started his coffee shop. It is such an amazing coffee roastery / shop. He just became q grader certified, which I believe is like a sommelier of coffee. His coffee sensory class is phenomenal. If you are ever on Oahu… It is worth a trip!

10 Likes

I ran into the coffee biz many years ago when I knew a man who was a friend of monsters. It was the worst of times for El Salvadore, but he managed to befriend some of the ruling elite to be able to get artifacts for his shop where I met him.
What he explained was that when they laid out the coffee plantations they did not have the means to cut the biggest trees and so planted them anyway in far more shade than coffee planted elsewhere.
As an understory tree the coffee did not ripen as fast but that turned out to be a good thing as it built more flavors than trees raised in full sun. This was the story he told that I stored away in the clutter of odd information bits but it might help your friend.

10 Likes

He is always heading to coffee farms, I will bring it up. Thank you!

6 Likes

My chocolate growing friends on the Big Island were talking about the original “Kona coffee” being raised in the rainforests, but that land was taken by the pineapple growers since that made more money, so “Kona” is now known for the (to me) harsher flavours of the volcanic side. You can still get rainforest Kona, but only locally. It’s so good though!
I fell in love with Kauaii coffee which is also rainforest grown so clearly I have a type :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I love Kona coffee! We used to be able to buy it in 5# bags when we lived in Arizona and had a Winco close by. No Wincos around here, and they won’t even mail to me. :cry: It may have been volcanic side, but I still really liked it. We got hooked on it when we had our timeshare on Maui. I’m thinking I’m going to have to do some more looking around for different types of beans than just plain.

7 Likes

Did you use magnets to keep the door open?

3 Likes

This is the way.

3 Likes

This is great! I am new to Glowforge and just received mine recently. I have only made the paper cube from the setup. Do you mind sharing what settings you used? thanks

1 Like

Welcome to the :glowforge: family!
I would love to see your projects.

2 Likes

If you search the forum for acacia settings you’ll get a lot of advice, for example:

Each machine is slightly different so you’ll still want to test a bit!

4 Likes

Thank you for responding!
Did you use any masking?
I have the pro if that makes a difference in settings…

2 Likes

I have a pro and didn’t use masking. Just wiped it off, but masking helps with cleanup.

3 Likes