Green Glass Acrylic

Is there any update on the acquisition of green glass acrylic to the shop? Previous discussion(s) were closed on 3 October 2018 and 6 August 2018. Glass Green Acrylic

I ordered some not long ago and received it promptly.

?? I have been checking regularly since July, when I last bought some and haven’t seen it as an option on the Acrylics page since then. They have green (opaque), and clear but not glass green (transparent). Do you have a link? thanks!

1 Like

I too am wondering if @christina.guercio ordered something different. When it first became available many months ago, I ordered some right away. It became unavailable not long afterward and hasn’t been in stock since. I contacted support and they had no ETA for it. I think there may be some confusion here about exactly what we’re talking about.

2 Likes

Maybe we’re talking about different items. This is what I’m talking about.

1 Like

ah, ok, that explains it…different item :wink: What we were talking about is similar to https://shop.glowforge.com/products/thick-clear-acrylic-cast-transparent-glossy?taxon_id=13 but with a green tint on the edges (still clear when viewed through it from front).

1 Like

anything, ? Bueller…bueller, bueller?

If they are out of stock, they are out of stock.
PeacefulFaithfulChimneyswift-small
Try searching for Green Glass Acrylic on google. I got hits from:
Tap Plastics
Green Cast
E Plastics
Johnson Plastics
Inventables
Canal Plastic
Ebay

1 Like

i understand there are other options, and have used them, Just curious if Glowforge is abandoning this item or still trying to get a supplier for the proofgrade version.

I’d like to know too. I ordered a sheet a while back but now I have a customer that wants it for a project and of course I don’t have enough.

I just ordered the Inventables version and I’m hoping it matches well enough that no one will notice. I just really prefer to use proofgrade. Have you used the Inventables version?

I have used a lot of Inventables and Tap acrylic and it’s all pretty much the same. The composition of acrylic doesn’t really change except for the color additives. (Acrylic is pretty much acrylic regardless of the seller.) The “glass” acrylic I have from Tap is no different looking than the PF glass acrylic.

2 Likes

I can’t find anywhere that says if TAP and Inventables is Cast or Extruded. I visit the tap castoff bin whenever I can but most of what I end up bringing home is extruded and engraves like crap. Luckily I shouldn’t need to engrave for this project but it would be nice to know for the future. (I can call in the morning but if you know offhand that’d be great.)

NVM I’m an idiot. There are separate sections.

1 Like

I use probably 90% Tap plastic and have become personal friends with the cashier at my local Tap. She throws in a lot of free scrap for me and saves me the really nice scrap pieces. (They have a beautiful “pearl” acrylic that I covet.) :stuck_out_tongue: All the stores do their scrap bin a bit different so YMMV, but you can usually tell the cast from the extruded if you check the masking.
-Paper masking = cast
-White paper masking = cast with matte finish on one side
-Plastic masking = extruded.

I use PF settings for all the Tap acrylic and I’ve never had any issues with it.

1 Like

Ooooooo do want! Thanks for the tip on the masking!! That helps!

The pearl will make you swoon, it’s so beautiful! Hard to tell, but you can kinda see the pearl effect in the right ear of my dog piece. My tap folks had a large off cut of about 12"x18" that they just gave me. Inventables carries the same/similar product that they call “marble” and the piece I got for free runs about $60. Don’t give up on Tap if it’s local to you. It really is all pretty identical once you know what to look for and you can save on shipping. Oh, and if you haven’t tried it, the matte black and matte white stuff is really great to work with too. It doesn’t show fingerprints, scratches etc, and the matte finish is really nice.

7 Likes

I go when I can but it’s a decent trek through horrible traffic with two small children to get there. Dental visits are more fun. Unless I get to go on my own on my hubs’ day off. Then it’s like Christmas lol.

1 Like

When I raided their scrap bin, the guy at Tap told me the stuff with paper masking is cast. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep! it’s:
-Paper masking = cast
-White paper masking = cast with matte finish on one side
-Plastic masking = extruded.

4 Likes