Hamilton Marquee Sign - Redditgifts project 3 of 4

Next up, Sierra’s Broadway match was a huge fan od the musical Hamilton. She originally just wanted to make a hanging sign, but my philosophy is that anything with doing is worth OVERdoing!

We designed the sign so that the logo would be engraved and the text cut out and backed with a translucent white material that internal lights can shine through. The sign is actually a box (cobbled together from several Festi generators, including living hinges for the curved corners and an internal divider system for structural support).

The top layer is a frame with holes for the marquee lights, which matches up with holes on the poster layer just beneath. We painted the main layer with hammered gold spray paintbefore engraving/ cutting, and it turned out great. I chose not to mask it, so it has a really cool burnt edge look. The string of lights and the control box that makes them pulse, flash, or blink in certain patterns are all on the inside of the box. The entire thing is made of 1/8" MDF.

29 Likes

Great!

Don’t ever let me niece see this! :laughing:

5 Likes

Truly amazing!

3 Likes

Wow, your giftee really cleaned up on this one: outstanding!

2 Likes

That’s fantastic!

Like @hansepe said, don’t tell my daughter! Puts the guitar pick I made her to shame! (Although it is her favorite pick and she uses it every day. :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Great project … was nice to see all of the photos!

2 Likes