Help with Stained Glass

Can I use my Glow Forge to score stained glass? If so what settings. Also am I able to etch a design into it?

Welcome to the forum.
We are only able to discuss settings for non Proofgrade materials in the Beyond the Manual section of the forum. The search function of the forum will be your very best bet for finding answers and examples of what can be done on the Glowforge. Your best results will be because you invest the time and effort into learning your machine and testing on your actual materials.

Here are some discussions that may be helpful: Search results for 'engraving glass' - Glowforge Owners Forum

3 Likes

Stained glass is so variable, definitely experiment on scraps of your real material.

The laser doesn’t etch on glass like a chemical cream, it chips off tiny, tiny flakes of the surface. On common window & bottle glass this usually results in an etched appearance but on some types of glass the flakes wipe away and the glass barely looks touched or artwork can appear very ragged.

Focus is also very important to consistent laser results, this will be a factor if your glass is textured or wavy.

2 Likes

I looked into this five years ago, my summary is on the forum. My ultimate conclusion was that it’s faster to score by hand.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.