Hey, Google, nice shelf you got there!

Been making shelves for random things in our house, including our Switch and other Google speakers. I actually replaced the smaller speakers from that last link with the better Nest Audio speakers, and moved those ones into my home office. So the office, as well as our bedroom had these nifty speakers being able to play music, which left our living room feeling empty. I’ve had Best Buy credit for quite a while, and saw that the Nest speakers were on sale again, which meant I had jump on them and make somewhere for them to sit.

Designing them was simple enough - I figured these things are surprisingly hefty, so doing a double layer on the wall braces seemed like the right way to go. Really, I should have also added a horizontal brace as well to help with any potential flexing, but I figured the wall would be good enough for that. Wanted to lean into the two different colors, meant I just had to do a cutout for the" Hey, Google", creating my own stencil from a font I liked, then painting the background. Lucky that I happened to buy the blue color last week off of a whim, and I’ve had the pink color for a couple of years, also bought off of a whim. Perfect opportunity to defend my random purchases to my wife :sweat_smile:

As for the plate that they sit on, I enjoy adding accent lines to many of my projects - this was a great way to just add that little bit of extra flair that almost nobody will ever take the time to notice. That’s it, I’ve got a few other projects I’ve been meaning to share, but this is the latest and greatest from my machines, guess they got the spotlight first!

51 Likes

Pretty practical cut.

2 Likes

My wonderful wife has learned to hold her tongue. Nice shelf!

4 Likes

Love your little shelves!

2 Likes

I made a rule that we’re allowed to buy whatever we want, whenever we want. Obviously that rule has limits, not like I’d just show up with a new car haha She came out with a new bathing suit the other day, so I’m coming home with a new air fryer :wink:

4 Likes

Looks perfect for the task, and love the look!

2 Likes

Great shelf! Nice execution on it!

1 Like

Nice looking shelf.

2 Likes

Adding the pop and entertainment of the “Hey Google” has to be my favorite part! It really brings something as boring as a shelf to life. Love the matching colors too!

2 Likes

It’s the little things that get overlooked while designing, so I try and take my time to make sure I’m going to get a decent project out of anything I’m making, thanks for noticing!

2 Likes

I love the shelves! I need to work on this one day. Long ago I replaced the night tables with non-gf made shelves because they just amassed crap and stubbed toes.

How do your shelves mount? I don’t see screw holes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I just use Command Velcro Strips. These speakers are about 3 pounds so this was a good test of strength.

1 Like