Hold down pins

After the first pins were shared, either the originator or someone else released a modified version. I can’t for the life of me find the file. Does anyone know where it is?

1 Like

Hmm.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Pins%20%20%23free-laser-designs

A few posts down the list…

2 Likes

Do you mean the one @eflyguy shared, with the different sides for passthrough stuff?

1 Like

No but I would like to know that too, please.

This isn’t it, but it’s modified so the middle is more springy? Just so you don’t have to scroll forever throught the post:

Found it:

These fit tighter on my honeycomb, I don’t know if I changed the size on accident, but you might want to cut one first and try it out.

8 Likes

Yep, that’s what I was looking for, thanks!

6 Likes

This is such a good topic and a must read for anyone new. It could save you some re-cutting and valuable materials.

Why do you need pins? One reason is that all material is not created flat. The Glowforge is a very precise instrument and I found out the hard way that a slight bow to a sheet of wood can result in the laser not cutting all the way through the wood.

Take a look at this piece (not proofgrade). It’s slightly bowed just enough for me to get my masking tool underneath.

Doesn’t seem like a lot but it is when the machine thinks it’s cutting a 1/8" piece of wood and it directly caused this outcome.

So, when your wood is flat on the crumb tray, tap around to make sure it sits flat in all of the areas. If you feel any play at all, use hold-down pins to help ensure a good clean cut.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.