Homemade Exhaust port and cap

Over the last number of weeks, I’ve been trying to work out a good solution for the Glowforge exhaust. I’m finally finished. I designed everything on Fusion 360. Printed on my Makergear M3ID printer, along with the Glowforge, X-carve and other shop tools.

X-carved Adaptor for my siding

Exterior done!

Inside my basement connectors and insulated cap. It’s held together with super strong magnets. The gray gasket is fun foam cut on the Glowforge.

I hope you found this interesting, I’m very happy with the results.

Terry

63 Likes

Brilliant!

3 Likes

Very classy solution!! And great attention to detail.

3 Likes

Great design and implementation! I’m always inspired when I see the caliber of creation within this group of :glowforge: ers

3 Likes

Pro level. Well done

3 Likes

I love it! First time I’ve seen one that was fitted to the siding. Well done!

4 Likes

Wow! That is marketable! I’m green with jealous rage right now that you have such amazing tools to create the exact thing that you envisioned :grin:

Someday I’ll live where I can buy more than a Glowforge and be able to create to my heart’s content! Bravo and inspiring!

5 Likes

that looks fantastic!

now, my only suggestion? get rid of that crappy foil hose and replace it with something that is deserving of that mount. :wink:

5 Likes

Funny you should mention that. I was just at Menard’s on my lunch hour looking for a nicer hose. (I didn’t see anything better yet :frowning: ).
If anyone has a good suggestion I’m open to it.

i bought something similar to this. but i picked it up in store at woodcraft. so i probably paid $10-15 more than i needed to. but i was in instant gratification mode. i cut it down to the length i needed and socked the rest away in storage in case i needed it later.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VRVGUA

the foil ones are just too likely to have pinhole leaks. i started with foil and ended up covering it completely with a layer or two of foil HVAC tape. it became rigid with all of that.

3 Likes

Thank you! I was thinking that the term homemade sure has a different meaning for me from a couple of years ago.

Raymond, just think when your “someday” comes there will be even better tools and I will have just a bunch of out of date machines.

3 Likes

i forgot to actually put the link above, but it’s there now.

2 Likes

Thanks, no more thought required. It will be in my hands on Wednesday. Thank You!

1 Like

With tools like that about you could make your own hose as a 3D living hinge

1 Like

:grinning:

1 Like

Impressive! You should market those…

1 Like

Wow, very well done!

1 Like

Wow! Thank You, everyone for the kind comments.

1 Like

We really should have some type of award/reward/recognition of things folks post. I know the Glowforge has at various times tried highlight things, but other than likes and rave reviews, the forum lacks an appropriate way to honor a masterful project like this. Very inspiring.

4 Likes

Nice solution to your exhaust needs using all the tools you have to the best abilities of them.

2 Likes