Honeycomb bed holdown pins

Can someone include a picture of them in use / alone?
Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used medium draft board (.120)
The pix are on the original post . I cross linked it in the top of this thread

2 Likes

I cut some out of 1/8" Baltic Birch which is really about 0.122" and they work just fine. Thanks again @eljefe4!

2 Likes

Here is the link to the original post showing them in use.

Great idea. Will be making some soon. Thanks for the file.

I made over a dozen!

Super clever. Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks for sharing!

Super helpful - especially with sometimes-warped non proof grade baltic birch (and Iā€™m sure other things, but this is where Iā€™m starting!). Thanks so much for sharing!

My only concern here is that it puts stress on the honeycomb. Iā€™m reluctant to wedge anything into the grid like that.

No worries. The pin will break before the honeycomb will. Iā€™m really liking them.
:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Iā€™m worried more about deforming not breaking, but I should maybe give them a whirl when my magnets let me down.

OKā€¦Iā€™m going to be the PITA here. I downloaded the file (thank you again, @eljefe4) and copy/pasted several more of them in the UI and cut them all out of some scrap. Theyā€™re too small for the honeycomb and slip out way too easily. Iā€™m guessing maybe when I was copy/pasting that I accidentally resized it to be too small, then of course ended up with all of them being too small? Anyone agree with that theory? I may try it again, but this time add more of them in the SVG before I load it into the UI.

1 Like

Scrap what? Pretty tightly designed for draftboard. Anything thinner would slip.

1 Like

Mine were just a hair too large, i had to shave them down just a touch.

You might have scaled it down accidentally, but keep in mind, they fit into the grid with the top fin running in a NE to SW orientation. (Or NW to SE).

2 Likes

Maple. Are they only designed for draftboard?

I was able to secure a few of them just as you describe, but most of them wouldnā€™t stay tight in any direction.

Oh yeah, mine are really tight. You might have shrunk emā€™ a bit.

1 Like

Thanks. I do love how they work, thoughā€¦and will use them a lot. I made a jig for a laser tile out of BB, and used them (as best I could) to keep the jig flat.

Do-over :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The honeycomb pattern is not exactly consistent. I have found That sometimes ,you catch a hole WITH a loose fit. I sized it originally for medium draftboard and get about 80% fit perfect. Varying material thickness would greatly affect the fit also. Just scale them slightly in you favorite SVG editor. I wouldnā€™t advise trying to hit the right scale in the ui because itā€™s imprecise adjustments. If you canā€™t get that to work, message me and Iā€™ll make a zip file with a few percent variations. I was going To do a v2 this weekend with a few enhancements and perhaps a wider range of grip. If anyone has any other thoughts, Iā€™ll see if they can be worked in to be more universal .
My intention to share this was to collaborate with this community to get the most out of this awesome machine.
Iā€™ll probably post the variants of the pins over the weekend.
Cheers
JJ

8 Likes