What to do with precious proof grade scraps?

image|690x232

Make some . You will find these useful. As soon as I figure out where to share Files. I’ll
Be happy to offer it “open source”:wink: . Is there a files section for that purpose ?

here is a link to the post where i put the file yesterday (in case it didn’t make sense.) Honeycomb bed holdown pins

… a few years later……
Recently , I was doing a bunch of cutting on my gf and using the hold down pins that I designed several years ago.

It always brings a smile to my face and a bit of pride when I receive emails whenever the original post is referenced .

It occurred to me , as I was staking down a stubborn board, that my automatic habit to test the flatness, is to simply tap around on the material to see if I hear a “pop” at any tap point. The “pop” indicates that there is a gap between the material and bed (indicating a need for another pin) . When I can tap around, and only hear the dull “thud”, I have achieved a properly secured piece of material.

I rechecked my original post and realized that I failed to add this tip.

Happy tapping !
Cheers to all who inspire me with your awesome designs! Sharing is caring

189 Likes

Great idea and use of scraps! Generous of you to offer the file too. There is a “free laser design” category you can post it in.

2 Likes

Nice work - well thought out design. :+1:
Thanks.
John

:upside_down_face:

As @kittski said, there is the “free laser design” category, you can zip your file and then drag it right into your post. You can do the same with an SVG but by zipping there is a less chance of corrupting it. And thanks.

Fantastic use for scraps! I would definitely use those. Sometimes the big magnets I use take up too much room on the edge of the board.

1 Like

Brilliant!!!

Brilliant idea, using the crumb tray grate to hold the pins in place! I’ll be printing a bunch of them once they’re available! @dan you should put 'em in the catalog! Perfect “second print” after the ruler!

4 Likes

Yeah, those are nicer than the ones I was using! Great job on them! :grinning:

2 Likes

These are fantastic! What an innovative idea!

1 Like

truly such a great idea

2 Likes

Thank you very much! These are awesome!

wow… what a brilliant idea!

Thank you Jefe!

This is excellent! Thank you!

Great idea. I have been using magnets since day one. But this is a great idea.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing these!

Now, how best to print as many as you can in a piece of PG…I’ve tried using this design here at http://svgnest.com and cannot seem to get it to work. Any ideas? TIA

Just encountered a pretty warped piece of MDF and I remembered this post. Zapped out 6 of these little cleats and they worked great. I made mine from ‘eighth inch’ MDF (closer to .13" in reality) and they are a very tight fit - I might make some that are a hair smaller so they don’t damage the honeycomb.

I just tried that web app also . Seems to make a mess of things. Seemed like that app would have lots of poterntial. SVG are funny animals and often behave strangely depending on the encoding. I would be glad to lay them out for you. I tend to use Corel draw for laser design and occasionally have compatibility problems. I’m
Not sure if this will help but I use it all the time to fix SVG files for web app development (my day job)
Check it out. I haven’t run the bed pins through it yet…
https://jakearchibald.github.io/svgomg/

This is a handy tool I found a few months ago.

3 Likes

Thanks @eljefe4 I also had the problem where the word “Forge” didn’t show up when I printed mine. :confused:

i figured most people would remove the words anyway… probably doubles (or more) the run time. just there to humor myself…

1 Like