How do you organize your files

Out of curiosity, how do you all organize your laser files on your computer/ cloud service?
I have a laser files folder then just make new folders within that folder with the laser file of each one and then the same with the photos of my projects in a separate folder.

I was curious how everyone else organizes theirs and if there is a more efficient way. I am currently trying to get everything as perfectly organized as possible before I switch everything over to a new NAS (network attached storage) system.

If you have any examples of how you do it or screenshots or photos you want to share if it’s easier that explaining it by typing I would greatly appreciate it.

5 Likes

Hmm I seem to recall a thread about this ages ago. I haven’t changed my method since then.

Ah there we go, December 2017. You mean you don’t recall all the weird one-off threads from 5 years ago? :wink:

@jules chimed in with her details there too.

I also know @eflyguy has mentioned that he has a robust local system, but I’m not sure if he ever posted details.

6 Likes

This thread has a lot of info too:

I searched for “local folder organization” and other variations on that theme.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=local%20folder%20organization%20order%3Alatest

6 Likes

It’s the Wild West on the Glowforge UI, so I rely entirely on my local folder structure and upload fresh copies of a design each time I cut it.

I’ve got a master folder called Projects for easy backup. Within that, there’s a LaserCutting folder, and below that, general categories: Art, Boxes, Experiments, Favors, Frames and Stands, Gifts, Jewelry, Puzzles, Signs, Third-Party Designs, Utilities and Templates.

Within those folders are the individual projects.

Each project folder has a subfolder for versions, plus a folder labeled _Obsolete. When a version is retired, I drag it into the _Obsolete folder to get it out of the way and archive it.

Lastly, each version folder has a subfolder labeled Raw (usually these are images or SVG exports straight from Fusion 360) and Output (for final, cleaned files ready for distribution).

I can find whatever files I need fairly quickly, but I sometimes have to rummage for them if they fit in multiple top-level categories. That’s pretty rare, though, and there are never more than two categories I have to look at.

5 Likes

I use adobe bridge and folders to organize my files on my computer for the “backup files” and then when making things for the glowforge cloud I make sure to label it something obvious so I can search the design instead of scrolling through all my designs. I think this heavily depends on what you use the glowforge for. If you run a customs business, maybe label it with order numbers or names of the customers.

6 Likes

I just name my files logically and they are all in one folder, just type in a bit of the name to display them in Finder.

That works if I need something in the UI as well.

6 Likes

I’ve got an Ideas folder, a Done folder, and any designs I’m currently working with folders. I very rarely put final photographs in with the designs - those are all over in my GDrive - and every once in a while I regret that when I need to go looking but not enough to fix that when I’m making :slight_smile:

I will say when I download something from the forum I’ve taken to adding the person’s username into the file name so that if I ever get around to making it I can go back and show them what they did :slight_smile:

Ideas & Done (red) both have ! at the beginning so they’re always at the beginning.
Items in folders (blue) means I’ve worked on them enough to have versions.
Items loose (green) means I have only done the very first throw-design-at-wall.
Items in purple start with ZZ so they’re always at the end and they are things like my maker’s mark that I’ll use if I’m sending something off with a stranger.

7 Likes

Seconding Adobe Bridge + a sensible folder structure. In addition to the thumbnails you can also add tags, color coding and meta data. It’s an excellent lightweight DAM (digital asset management system) and it’s entirely free, no CC subscription required.

4 Likes

I have all my puzzle designs in one folder, and I used to have images all in a separate section. After struggling with finding the pics when I want to list a puzzle for sale, I have started to put all my photos of that puzzle design in with the SVG files.

Good luck with figuring out what works best for you!

3 Likes

I collect everything local(cloudstreaming) in a master folder “Creative Projects” And will start with subfolders 1. Lasercutter, 2. Vinyl cutter, 3. Etsy Designs, 4. Vector designs, 5. Sketchup designs, etc. etc. Within those I will have (for example) .Ai (illustrator files) on which I will work and make new versions. The latest version will be in the filetype that could be sent to a machine. Bigger projects and multiple file projects will get there own folder again.

Most of my projects (85%) will be one time projects and won’t need to be found again but will be named according with the clients name and the sort of product it is.

All my files are immediately streamed to google cloud services so I can acces them on all the computers.

hope it helps!

3 Likes

This is my method, too! I used to try to categorize them all, but it was just too much work. :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info and share

Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks for sharing the way you save them and the photo too

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.