19d read time
100.0k posts read

15.0k given
1.8k bookmarks

18 topics created
2.4k posts created

10.0k received

5 Likes

Just hit 100K last night. After all the updates and finally getting through todayā€™s updates, here are my stats:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve still got about 8k to go. I missed a bunch by joining the forum later. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Me too (joining later) but I found them in the Q&A posts from Sep/Oct '15. The folks with >100K are likely the result of threads or topics that have been deleted or in areas weā€™re currently not privy to.

It was interesting to see what was asked & answered then and still being asked and answered today. Also interesting to see what was consistent and whatā€™s changed over time. The other thing I noticed was how many people were active in Sep/Oct/Nov that year but donā€™t seem to be posting any more. Maybe a die-off from the first delay.

5 Likes

So I am at 84k. And its strange because I went all they way back with my settings to show everything not read. So over the last few months I have gotten my unread to zero. I donā€™t think I got credit for some of the posts I glassed over because they where one liners and my monitor is 2560x1600 wo I can fit a massive amount of text on the screen. So when I do a slow scroll and read i donā€™t think I get all the credits I should. That and some of the posts ever so old with old no longer relevant thinking i may have glazed over a few

1 Like

The way Discourse is keeping track isnā€™t that simple. I was in the same position. But then I went through each category looking for the ones that were shown in black text (vs gray). Those are the ones Discourse doesnā€™t think youā€™ve read. I also noticed that you have to ā€œbottom outā€ a thread - get to the absolute bottom of the screen - where the list of Suggested Topics and that last line of the current status is showing, scroll to where it wonā€™t scroll anymore. If I didnā€™t do that it didnā€™t always make it read (change the listing to gray instead of black).

I found a few in each category but a ton of them in Q&A from before I joined the forum. I did pick up some interesting tidbits though so there is relevance in some of that stuff. It was worth doing while waiting for my GF to arrive.

3 Likes

At this rate weā€™ll hit 200,000 posts much more quickly than 100,000, even without shipping. That might be a good game. Guess when someone gets to 200,000.

2 Likes

Apologies if this was already posted in this topic before, but two perusals did not find it.

Itā€™s easy to find the total number of posted posts that have been posted:

Go To:

https://community.glowforge.com/about

and look for Site Statistics.

8 Likes

Nice find. Missed that page.

1 Like

Interesting. As far as I know there are only a couple of us that have a read count as high as mine. And I am still missing 8.7K posts. That means there is significant traffic elsewhere. Possibly the Beta category.

Not that I care in the least. Itā€™s just a data point. (Both of my cars have over 215K miles. A data point that is going to mean far more to me soon.)

7 Likes

I dive 'em all the way to the Bone yard too.
It took her perspective to wake me up last time we bought one.
I jacked up the old high mile '84 minivan to begin the ordeal of front main oil seal replacement, and she said " you know youā€™re just buying time. How much are you going to buy?

I slid out from under that thing and drove it to the dealer for a trade-in. So far, I bought 17 yearsā€¦
Thanks Baby, I needed that wake-up.

Edit; so yeah, itā€™s about time to buy some more. Got our name on a Tesla model 3.

5 Likes

Iā€™m a miser when it comes to nursing things along. But yet I bought the GF on a whim, never having heard of it until 2 hours before bringing out the credit card.

Twice, my primary vehicle lost all forward gears except 4th traveling around these mountains. Did a poor manā€™s flush of the tranny and got another eight months before it did it again. Going on 2 months since the last failure. Irritating? Yep. But 10 months without a car payment? By my math that amounts to a GF Pro.

7 Likes

@PrintToLaser If my employer finds this post they will probably fire me for the second point of information.

1. Tesla is a joke. This is not because of who I work for, but having had access to one for almost 12 months after my dad purchased one two years ago. The autopilot failed, resulting in a crash. The vehicle lost 36% of itā€™s value in less than a year and for a ā€œluxuryā€ vehicle, it was the most uncomfortable car Iā€™ve every ridden in. Personally, Iā€™d never own an electric vehicle no matter who made it.

2. Iā€™d never purchase a new vehicle. The devaluation in the first 12 months is crazy. There are so many really good 1 to 2 year old vehicles available where the initial depreciation has already occurred, these are the best value.

Just my two cents.

4 Likes

Devaluation only matters if you plan to trade it in. Having been raise yankee frugal with cars, I drive my vehicles until they just wonā€™tā€¦ I always buy new, but have never sold a car, and 1 got donated to the fire dept as a trainer for extraction, and the other dropped the tranny in the driveway and had to be flat bedded away. Both > 10 years old. Currently we drive a 2004 and a 2006. The 2006 only has 85000 on it so could last another 10, while the 2004 is starting to have more things wrong but still drives great.

6 Likes

Thanks for the perspective.
The last I bought was 2 years old, for that very reason.
Thought you had a new Mustangā€¦

1 Like

I also drive most of mine into the ground as well, normally 10 plus years after purchase. Buying new only starts the clock a year or two earlier in the process, but costs considerable more, especially if youā€™re going to finance. Iā€™ve not made a car payment in more than two years. After paying off my first car loans, I just kept paying myself, so when it was time to get a new (used) car I already had the cash to purchase it and being used the purchase price was much less.

3 Likes

Unless itā€™s a Wrangler. Iā€™ve heard, but never verified, many a Ferrari goes up in value. I also bought a one year old 370Z for 15k less than MSRP with only 5,500 miles on it. So yeah, the point is extremely valid and I nitpick stuff. I still want a Model S, but thatā€™s only happening if I win a smallish lottery.

3 Likes

I too like to buy a new car (so I can get the exact model and features I want, and not have any weird surprises) and keep it running as long as possible.

Iā€™ve bought three new cars (2001 Focus sedan, 2005 Focus wagon, 2017 C-Max) and I have received one used car as a gift. (A few years after my grandma stopped driving she gave me her 1998 Buick Regal.)

The 2001 Focus was totaled after a minivan sheared off the front foot or so of it. The 2005 Focus has 198,000 miles on it and still drives fine (although a bit on the noisy side). Recently I decided the Focus had reached the point where I didnā€™t want to be driving it to and from work every day (25 miles each way adds up fast) so I traded in the Buick (which my girlfriend and I both hated) and bought the C-Max.

The Buick only had 40k miles on it (most of which was put on there by my girlfriend; my grandparents had only driven around 14k miles) but we both agreed that weā€™d much rather keep the Focus until it dies.

To get back on topicā€¦ it looks like I passed 100k posts read a while ago. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was a Model S P85D that my dad had. It was very unique to drive, but once you got past the amazing acceleration, the rest of the car just did not live up to the price tag. Iā€™ll not even go into the misleading environmental claims.

2 Likes