How to get a Centerline Trace in Illustrator šŸ¤”

@fugee13 - Iā€™ve put up a little tutorial on the process in Illustrator - here:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for posting this

1 Like

No prob! :grinning:

Adobe illustrator looks a little different on my screen so I am unable to follow these steps. Not sure what i am doing wrong. :frowning:

Welcome to the forum.

What looks different? How far did you get in this example before things looked different?

I already have an SVG that looks like this - not matter what I do I cannot get to the same outcome as youā€¦ any ideas?

Canā€™t you delete one of the lines in node editing mode?

3 Likes

If dimensional accuracy is not critical this is definitely how I would do it.

The latest version of Illustrator still does the Center Line Trace. There is a preset (Line Art) that will get you close to where you want to be. But it only works on bitmaps.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so glad this was resurrected. Can I ask if anyone has the issue of it just going white when they do a trace? I even created a big fat lined bitmap just to try the line art thing. No matter what I do, no matter how thick the lines are, it goes white. In either instance.
(I donā€™t actually have a ā€œlive traceā€. I have Image trace, and Live paint, and neither look like the example above. I did find the Line Art in presets, but it goes white too.) ā€¦ETA: Could the lines be too thick? I tried to do something that looked like a coloring book, and not like a line drawing. lol, Iā€™m seriously lost.
I have to say that I know absolutely ZERO about illustrator. I can do photoshop with my eyes closed, so I understand the basics of adobe, but Iā€™m absolutely clueless about this.
If anyone has even an inkling of an idea, Iā€™d appreciate it so much.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

You guys, I spent all day trying to figure this out, and I wanted to share what I found. Resolution makes all the difference! I have no idea why, but lowering the resolution from 300 to 72 finally made it work! (Iā€™m not kidding when I say I ran image trace at least 500 times today. I had to figure this out.) So following @Jules instructions (thought line art might work too) and lowering the resolution gave me darn near perfect centerline. Thanks so much for this tread and sending me down a rabbit hole where a learned a ton!

3 Likes

Which version of AI are you using? (Live trace has been around for several versions)

2 Likes

ā€˜Image traceā€™ replaced it around CS6, I just learned that today. Weā€™re on the subscription so all I know is that weā€™re up to date. :slight_smile:
I think I learned enough today that I might start using it more. I never thought I would!

2 Likes

Hey Robin! Any chance you could screen record your process? I tried lowing the resolution and Iā€™m still coming up blank, would love to see exactly what youā€™re doing!

Welcome to the forum.

Omg thank you. I import svg tracings from illustrator all the time and the double path made fusion sad

2 Likes