I did the silicon apple watch strap thing

I jumped onto the bandwagon and did a test engrave for my wife’s watch. 38 minutes. didn’t paint, not sure if she wants that yet. may try tomorrow. have a box of oil paints coming tomorrow.

Uploading: APC_0534-hdr.jpg…

Uploading: APC_0534-hdr-3.jpg…
Uploading: APC_0537-hdr-2.jpg…

64 Likes

Nice! I didn’t realize Apple’s fluoroelastomer watch bands were laser safe. If so perhaps I’ll have to try a few…

3 Likes

I’ve ordered a handful of bands to do, but haven’t gotten to them. Not as if that’s a surprise, I’ve a ton of stuff that’s sitting on my shelf waiting to have the laser treatment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Does the band feel likes it’s lost any integrity? The engrave looks a little deep, but that may be some camera trickery. Looks good, would be interesting to see filled, but even without it it looks fine.

6 Likes

i read somewhere else (and i’m not 100% sure on this) that the actual apple bands didn’t engrave as well as the 3rd party silicon bands.

this was a silicon band bought on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Y4KCWW

it is a little deep. i might dial it back a little if i try another one.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t paint it, it looks great the way it is.

4 Likes

wasn’t up to me. wife decided to color it black. i agree, i liked it better plain.

6 Likes

Looks awesome!! Love that you did the entire band. Could you share your settings please. I’ve done a few before and for some reason my glowforge deleted all of my saved settings :roll_eyes:.

3 Likes

i sent you a PM, since we’re not supposed to post settings in made on a glowforge.

6 Likes

Love the engraving!

3 Likes

Looks great! I love the look of the engraved bands. I tend to like them better sans paint, but that’s partly because I’m skeptical that they will hold up. Curious to see how it goes.

2 Likes

I have been playing around with setting and cannot dial it in. Would you share you setting with me? Also what did you paint it with? I have you oil base paint markers but it makes such a huge mess.

2 Likes

you have to clean up after the oil markers. use isopropyl alcohol.

1 Like

tes would love to know the setting!! please

would love the setting on this too for my daughter - thanks!

4 Likes

Nice work! An interesting product to be engraving. Just curious if you had a lot of flare up with engraving? WHen I last put silicon in the GF, there were a fair amount of flames.

1 Like

i’ve seen people say that they get some flare ups. i didn’t notice it with this one.

2 Likes

Hi! I think I’m gonna jump on this one too as a fundraiser for my school. Would you mind sharing the settings? I think I need the jig also. Have you found a good one?
Thanks!!!

link to settings is 3 posts above yours.

4 Likes

Love the engraving and the color of the watch band.

1 Like